Replies

Switching Concepts

jalmallah
Level 1
Level 1

hello

i want to ask u question

when i'm reading the features of Catalyst 6500

i found some terms i don't know if i understood them correctly or not so Plz help

Switching Fabric

32-Gbps bus switching architecture

system bus backplane

and this is the titles i was reading about Catalyst 6500

Switch Fabric Module Redundancy

Since its introduction, the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series has been built on a single 32-Gbps bus switching architecture that

provides the data path for all packets through the system. The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series includes a 256-Gbps crossbar

switching fabric (the SFM for higher bandwidth capacities and 30+ Mpps of forwarding performance). The SFM is supported

in the Cisco Catalyst 6506 and the Cisco Catalyst 6509 chassis. The SFM2 is essentially the same fabric but designed to work

in all the Cisco Catalyst 6506, 6509, and 6513.

Switching Fabric Failover

The SFM also provides another level of hardware redundancy to the system. The single fabric channel versions of the

fabric-enabled line cards provide a connection to both the switching fabric and the existing system bus backplane. This allows

the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series to use the SFM as the primary data path between fabric-enabled line cards. In the event that an

SFM fails, the system will fail over to the 32-Gbps bus to ensure that packet switching continues (albeit at the bus capacities

of 15 Mpps throughput and 32-Gbps bandwidth) and the network remains online. Additionally, a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series

can be configured with dual SFMs (in slots 5 and 6 of a Catalyst 6506 or Catalyst 6509 or in slots 7 and 8 of a Catalyst 6513),

which provide a third level of fabric redundancy. In this configuration, a failure on the primary fabric module would result in

a switchover to the secondary fabric module for continued operation at 30 Mpps. Also, in the event of further fabric module

failures, the ability to switch over yet again to the system bus would still be available.

CISCO CATALYST 6500/CISCO 7600 SERIES SUPERVISOR ENGINE 720

The Supervisor

engine 720 integrates a high-performance 720 Gbps crossbar switch fabric with a forwarding engine in a single module, delivering 40 Gbps of

switching capacity per slot (enabling 4-port 10GE and 48-port 10/100/1000 density line cards). With hardware-enabled forwarding for IPv4, IPv6

and MPLS, the system performance is capable of 400 Mpps for IPv4, 200 Mpps for IPv6 traffic, with features and 1024 VRFs each populated with

up to 700 routes/VRF for MPLS.

2 Replies 2

fsebera
Level 4
Level 4

Hi jalmallah,

I know your question is important to you and most of us would like to help. Answering questions for folks here allows everyone to develope a better understand of important topics and hopefully solve your

issue(s) too.

Please ask your question, and be specific as possible. This will allow everyone to provide assistance.

Hope this helps.

Frank

dnewell24
Level 1
Level 1