cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

switchport access vlan dynamic

dlanderson3
Level 1
Level 1

can you tell me the advantages and disadvantages to configuring ports with this command?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

With that command (I am supposing you have a VLAN Membership Policy Server) you can move to device from switch to another switch and the new port will configure the right vlan automatically taking the information configured in the server, you can also configure 802.1x (using a Radius server like the vlan membership policy server) to achive this behavior. In the oder hand if you dont use this kind of configurations when a client needs to move from one place and connect to a new network port you will have to configure the vlan of it in a static way each time. This kind of configuration is good if yuou work in a place where user are changind constantly of places in a wired way.
Please do not forget to rate useful post.

Best regards,

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Diana Karolina Rojas
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

With that command (I am supposing you have a VLAN Membership Policy Server) you can move to device from switch to another switch and the new port will configure the right vlan automatically taking the information configured in the server, you can also configure 802.1x (using a Radius server like the vlan membership policy server) to achive this behavior. In the oder hand if you dont use this kind of configurations when a client needs to move from one place and connect to a new network port you will have to configure the vlan of it in a static way each time. This kind of configuration is good if yuou work in a place where user are changind constantly of places in a wired way.
Please do not forget to rate useful post.

Best regards,

Thanks for you response.  i've been working other issues this past week. 

I'm just starting, trying to learn the setup here.  i don't believe we are using a vlan membership policy server, nor a radius.  we do have tacacs, but i don't know that that's involved.

there are many ports configured like this and they are all constantly flapping.  if these were all trunk ports, open to the needed vlans, how would that be different, would that be better - eliminate the flapping?

doesn't the flapping interfere with performance?

thx again for any help you can provide.

Can yo provide the configuration from this ports? No, It wont be better to have a "trunk" instead an "access port" unless that ports are conected between switches, between switches and routers, wireless lan controllers and others, but If you have PCs, laptops, printers, APs, phones, so you have to define the access vlan for security reasons.  

Please do not forget to rate useful post, this motivate us to continue contribuiting in the community.

Best Regards,

thank you for your help....these are access ports for client workstations, and are managed with vmps.

once again, other needs have prevailed.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: