cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Syslog Basics

helpdeskdenver
Level 1
Level 1

I imagine this is a VERY simply problem to fix. I am trying to hunt down information on the Syslog settings/tools associated with the Cisco Equipment. Everything I find points me to CiscoWorks, but my employer will not allow us to use this tool.

I was wondering if there is a method to browse the Syslog information on each Cisco device without exporting it to a external location.

What commands are necessary, and what documentation is available for my reference?

Please advise.

William Powley

5 Replies 5

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

If you're sending them to the buffer or console, then you can use the relevant show command to see them. Alternately, you can also use the free ware syslog app as well: http://www.kiwisyslog.com/

Ok, good to know, and I'll check out that utility. I don't believe I am sending the logs anywhere, but again I am not sure.

Could you tell me how I would check that, or where I could get more information about the commands specific to working with the logs?

Thanks.

You can do a logging ? on the router in enable mode to see and select the option. Later can do a term mon to see the messages on the console.

Alright, thank you very much.

I'll try those suggestions and see if I can get what I need.

I'm going to use Kiwi Syslog to log my PIX and archive the events. What commands do I need to run in the PIX in order for it to enable the Kiwi Syslog capture its log?

TIA

Tom