Views
Helpful
Replies

syslog for ISDN routers

berndtonn
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

on a central syslog server we are logging all messages from our routers that are fixed connected (leased-line,etc.). We find that information very usefull. We wonder if there is a reasonable way of logging information from dial-up routers as well. Of course we don't want the router to dial for every single syslog message. Is there some way to tell an Cisco IOS router to wait with sending the messages

a) until the dial-up connection is open for some other reason or

b) until there is a larger amount of messages ?

Any ideas are welcome.

Thank you very much !

4 Replies 4

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

hi

though i hvent seen a scenario like this till now hope u can deny the syslog traffic to initiate the isdn call in the dialer-list statement and permitting other traffic to dial out.

Again if u want to use in some specifi time periods then u can use time range options in the cisco router.

regds

prem

Dear Prem,

in case I create a dialer-list that denies the syslog traffic, then I will loose that messages, won't I ? Please correct me when I am wrong, but I don't believe the router will buffer that information and send it later.

Best regards,

Bernd

You are correct. If your dialer list denies syslog messages as interesting traffic the router will transmit syslog if the dialer interface is already active and will drop the syslog if the dialer interface is not already active.

I am not aware of any way to get the Cisco router to buffer up and wait to transmit syslog. As far as I know it will transmit it immediately or will drop it.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

hi bernd/rick

thx for correcting me out and will update my knoweldge base..

regds

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: