Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

Tangent Tue: 2nd week of Nov ($$$ use cases)

Sorry we missed last week’s Tangent Tue. My team was at a sales conference for 3 days, so the week did get away from us. To make up for it, we have-- what I think at least --is an especially good Tangent Tue today.

Continuing with the Cisco Virtualized Experience Infrastructure (VXI if you see the acronym around) topic from a few weeks back, we teamed up with Frost & Sullivan to get a better understanding of the considerations for picking up desktop virtualization or VDI. The team came up with some interesting VDI use cases that I thought would be good to explore with this group, and see what people thought of them, if they have noticed something similar on their own network, etc. Here’s use case #1:

Money. Desktop virtualization can save your boss money. VDI allows you to centralize services in the data center, reducing the number of desktops/laptops required by employees. This means fewer maintenance costs, hardware costs, etc., reducing short-term expenses. Yes, your storage costs in the data center will go up, but as many businesses need to move to Windows 7 (or 8!), this is a great time to weigh out the costs of refreshing and managing your desktop infrastructure.

VDI also positively impacts your long-term TCO by reducing management costs: you can centrally/remotely manage desktops or applications, giving IT experts more control and easier management and provisioning tasks. Also means fewer operational costs, as virtual machines take up less power and don’t add to cooling needs of an already hot data center.

While I am sure everyone is well aware of the heat coming off their equipment, has anyone not explored VDI as a solution to their problem? If you want to take a look at some good starting points, check out Cisco’s Unified Computing System (UCS). Part of Cisco’s VXI solution, our Unified Computing System’s memory architecture can pack 60% more virtual machines onto one server. This results in less power, management, and cooling costs. Plus, we have better transaction times than HP

Learn more about Cisco UCS

While you are at it, also take a look at Cisco EnergyWise technology. (We won the Best of Interop Green Award the year we brought this to market). EnergyWise helps PoE devices (such as endpoints in our VXI solutions) recognize power consumption of user devices, including VDI terminals, and then manage and reduce that power consumption based on use state. For example, my IP phone goes into sleeper mode around 7pm (19:00 if I did my math right?), shutting the backlight to the screen to consume less power. Anyone find this useful as well? Or would you like to explore more on this here?

Learn more about Cisco EnergyWise

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards