Views
Helpful
Replies

Telnet prompted with Username but "% Login Invalid"

m.saufi
Level 1
Level 1

Anyone,

When telnetting to my router, I'm prompted with Username and anything that key-in , the router responded with "% Login Invalid". I suspected that I did not configured e.g "username me privilege 1 password test" earlier on and I also think that I have configured "login local" to "line vty 0 4". I also CANNOT console in since I'm also prompted with the username and router responded with % Login Invalid".

I also CANNOT access via http(disabled) and Ciscoworks too. What I'm left with now is to do password recovery which is actually my last resort. Any help or workaround is much appreciated. Thanks.

4 Replies 4

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

That indicates that the username you entered is not defined in the router config. Did you do a write mem after you added the user and telnet configs. If not then, power cycling the router will revert back to old configs. Otherwise I see password recovery as the only option.

PS: Please rate the post if it helped you!

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hello,

Thanks for the fast response.

Yes, I've that done dreaded thing of write mem. So power recylce wouldn't help much. Right now still working with Ciscoworks trying to find a way in before I do the password recovery. Reason being this remote router is located 200km away. So for now, I don't mind trying other means if you have one in mind.

Thanks again.

Hello,

if you have SNMP configured, and if you know your Read/Write community, you could try and change your config with SNMP. Here are the steps to do that:

1. Read the config to a tftp server

"snmpset -c .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.55.ipaddress.of.tftpserver octetstring "

2. Next edit the configuration substituting the new, plain text, enable secret password and save it back to a tftp server on the same network as the router.

line vty 0 4

password New*Password

login

3. Then tell the router to boot the config on your tftp server (tftp server needs to be on the same subnet)

"snmpset -c .1.3.6.1.4.1.9.2.1.50.ip.address.of.tftpserver octetstring "

And the new config is running, telnet to the router and try your new password then copy the running config to startup

There are also tools out there that let you do this, check this link for the SolarWinds ConfigUploader procedure (scroll down to ´How to reset an enable secret password via SNMP´):

http://www.solarwinds.net/Toolsets/Content/Router-Password-Decryption.htm

Regards,

GP

GP,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. Indeed its of great help. But I did not try Solarwinds, instead I used the working trial version of Winagents's IOS Config Editor which is such a breeze. It solved my access problem to 2 routers but not the 3rd one even though it's able to verify that the SNMP string is correct. Still waiting for Winagents to feedback why this happen.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: