Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing the waters

arahigihs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I am currently using a Cisco PIX 506e as the portal between our internal network and the outside world. It is connected to a DSL modem. We are migrating to a Fiber Optic internet connection and a Cisco ASA 5505. The question I have is, will the 5505 handle both internet connections while we migrate all of our remote connections to the new IP address assigned to us by the ISP for the Fiber access?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

That's good news all around. Since one ISP is handling both circuits here is what they can (and should) do. They will give you the new address space for the fiber line. You'll cut over to the new line. The ISP can then route your old DSL address space down the fiber optic line and you can use both address spaces until you migrate completely off your old one. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Collin Clark
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The ASA 5505 can not terminate fiber optic, can they give you an ethernet handoff? Are the DSL and the Fiber Optic line from the same ISP?

I apologize for the incomplete data. We do have an ethernet handoff for the fiber cable. Yes, the DSL and the Fiber are from the same ISP but we have different IP addresses for each. We will be terminating the DSL but not until the migration to the Fiber line is complete. The goal is to make the transition with a minimal amount of downtime but we will still have to change our remote connections to point to the new IP address.

That's good news all around. Since one ISP is handling both circuits here is what they can (and should) do. They will give you the new address space for the fiber line. You'll cut over to the new line. The ISP can then route your old DSL address space down the fiber optic line and you can use both address spaces until you migrate completely off your old one. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco