Views
Helpful
Replies

TFTP large images (34MB)

Ela_68
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

I try to transfer an Image on my Gateway router via tftpd32. 

but I got the "timed out error". 

I tried to transfer a smaller text, again got the same error. 

Does anybody know what could be the issue ?

Best regards

Ana

2 Replies 2

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Couple of this need to check :

1. are you able to ping TFTP Server ?

2. what kind of TFTP Server is this ?

3. check the Device running TFTP has any firewalls

4. do you have any ACL in the Router ? (if possiple post configuiraiton)

here is the guide help you :

https://networklessons.com/cisco/ccna-routing-switching-icnd1-100-105/upgrade-cisco-ios-image

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ana

The title of this suggests that the problem might be related to the size of the file you are trying to send. While there are tftp implementations for which large files are problematic my experience has been that tftpd32 is able to handle large files pretty well. And you say that sending a smaller file also had problems. So I believe that we need to look for other explanations of the problem. 

The suggestions from @balaji.bandi are good, especially the suggestion to check on connectivity. I have a few other suggestions:

- can you verify that the file that you want to transfer is in the directory that tftpd32 is pointed to?

- can you verify that the file name in the directory is exactly the same as the name that you specified for the tftp request?

- can you check the logs in tftpd32 and see whether tftpd32 saw the request from your gateway router?

- if tftpd32 did see the request are there other log messages that might explain why the transfer did not work?

- are you making the tftp request from a command prompt? or perhaps from rommon?

- if none of the other suggestions have helped then I suggest turning on debug for tftp on your gateway router, attempt the tftp transfer, and post the debug output.

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco