cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Throughput issues with dual private T1 lines

mseanmiller
Level 1
Level 1

What is the best way to configure my parallel T1s so that I can havea an aggregate throughput of > 1.5 meg. I have used BGP, EIGRP and just plain static routes but none seem to give me more bandwidth than a single T1. It's great for load balancing and redundancy but I want more throughput.

Any ideas. Any software that Cisco has or a 3rd party multiplexor.

Thank you

5 Replies 5

tbaranski
Level 4
Level 4

Multilink PPP is a common choice.

r.cheung
Level 1
Level 1

You may want to change the switching from per destination to per packet. Implement CEF first, then apply 'ip load-sharing per-packet' on both wan interfaces, each side.

Rick

flaneryw
Level 1
Level 1

PPP Multilink works well for load balancing over parallel links. You can set it up to use a virtual interface as the neighbor on each end of the link, and it will distribute the load between the two physical links.

If you can afford the price an IMUX will do the same thing, and it takes the load off of the routers CPU.

hi

I have seen users use the int virtual template command and also the ppp multilink command to combined sync interfaces. What is the the difference

thanks

jgross
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

you can use EIGRP if both lines have equal speed.

I asume that you have 4 Routers, two on each side, with two serial T1s in between.

1.) Set the metric to ignore interface bandwidth.

router eigrp 1

metric weights 0 0 0 1 0 0

Now, only interface delay is used for route calculation

2.) Set the delay on all LAN Ethernet Interfaces to 5

3.) Set the delay on the serial interfaces of the first T1 to 10 on both sides

4.) Set the delay on the serial interfaces of the second T1 to 15 on both sides.

Now you have perfect Loadsharing.

Bye

Jo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: