Views
Helpful
Replies

Tool to generate catalyst port config based on patchpanel layout

Nicola Volpini
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I've been configuring Catalyst 29xx as access switches for quite a while. I noticed that the patchpanel numbering and the catalyst ports numbering are not corresponding in their progression.

The Catalyst ports are numbered top to bottom and left to right, while the patchpanel ports are numbered left to right.

Example: I'm about to cable a new office in a split patch panel setup. The following table sums up the layout from the front (It's a 48 port catalyst "squeezed" between two 24 ports patchpanels):

TOP PP (PP1)12345678
catalystgi1/0/1

gi1/0/3

gi1/0/5

gi1/0/7

gi1/0/9

gi1/0/11

gi1/0/13

gi1/0/15

catalyst

gi1/0/2

gi1/0/4

gi1/0/6

gi1/0/8

gi1/0/10

gi1/0/12

gi1/0/14

gi1/0/16

BOTTOM PP (PP2)2526272829303132

As you can see, port 1 corresponds to gi1/0/1 but proceeding with the numbering makes the patchpanels ports not correspond to the catalyst ports.

I'm looking for a script (bash, python, whatever) taking into account this layout. The script should generate a template with relative interface descriptions corresponding to the layout.

Example:

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

description *** PP1:1 ***

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/2

description *** PP2:25 ***

!

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/3

description *** PP1:2 ***

!

Thanks!

2 Replies 2

stephen.stack
Level 4
Level 4

Well, it's do-able... thats for sure. Theres a trade off here... between the time it takes to populate the data if not already done) and the time it takes to write a script to generate the desired output. And actually doing it manually as a one off and ensuring the interface descriptions are maintained as a standard in future.

Regards

==========================
http://www.rConfig.com 

A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs!

- Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

========================== http://www.rconfig.com A free, open source network device configuration management tool, customizable to your needs! - Always vote on an answer if you found it helpful

Thanks,

I managed to setup a little bash script. I'll share it as soon as it's ready!

Thanks