Views
Helpful
Replies

Topology Export to Visio 2003

paul.kyte
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm trying to export the topology details from Campus Manager to Visio 2003. Campus Manager creates a text file but I can't find how to import this into 2003.

Does nayone know how to do this ?

Thanks,

6 Replies 6

krozier
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Paul,

I had problems importing Campus Manager exports into Visio 2002, also. I believe the solution that I was able to come up with works will work on Visio 2K+3. Follow these steps:

1. Export the nodes that you want view in Visio. Save the file. This will create an CVS file which will be imported in Visio.

2. Download the Visio Stencils (Keep the default name of CM_CISCO.VSS) and place in a directory that you can find easily. This creates a Visio stencils containing the shapes the exported CSV file references.

3. Open Visio and Click File->Open. Navigate to the directory that you have saved the CM_CISCO.VSS and open that stencil up.

4. Click File->Open. Navigate to the directory where the CSV file was saved. Type "*.*" in the file name box and hit ENTER to have the CSV file appear. Choose the file and click OK on the Visio File Converter box. Now the diagram should be displayed.

5. {Optional} Let the forum know if this was successful.If not successful, please describe the error message or problem received.

Hope this helps!

Kersean Rozier

Hi Kersean,

I tried what you suggested but it didn't work.

At step 4 I could see the file after entering *.* in the file name box but when I selected it and clicked open it stated this wasn't a valid Visio file. I couldn't proceed. There wasn't any File onvertor Box.

Looking through the help text with Visio 2003 I cannot find any reference to importing from a text file therefore as the other posted reply states I believe the outpu from CM isn't supported.

Does anyone jnow what version of Visio did support it ?

Hi Paul,

Did you make sure that the CM_Cisco.vss stencil was opened previous to opening the CSV file? I had the same problem with Visio 2002, and actually I was going to tell you the way I originally open the CSV file, but I found the way I told you about in the previous post and thought it would be easier.

Here is the original way I open the file in Visio:

1. Copy the CM_Cisco.Vss file to the directory containing the network stencils. On my system, that is

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Visio10\1033\Solutions\Network.

1. Open Visio to a blank document.

2. Select Tools -> Macros -> Flowchart -> Import Flow Chart Data Wizard.

3. Click next at the first dialogue bock. Choose "Read data from existing file and choose the CSV file.

4. If it does not work then, attach your CSV file to this forum and I will try to import it from home (I have Visio 2003 on my personal computer). I am sure that I can get it to work and I will detail the steps when I do.

RMushtaq is correct that Visio 2003 is not supported and I don't believe that is in 2002. But Campus Manager (CM) doesn't really exports the file in "Visio" file format. It only exports a CSV file,

you can open the file yourself in Excel. You can see that the file just plain text information of the shapes.

Hope this helps you.

Kersean Rozier

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

CM currently does not support Visio 2003

Thanks for everyones help but as Rizwan stated CM export is not supported in Visio 2003.

Trying what everyone suggests doesn't work. Visio 2003 cannot import the text file from CM (unless a lot of manual intervention and reprocessing is done).

I have resorted to using Visio 2002, which does import it successfully, and then saving as a VSD and opening in Visio 2003.

krozier
Level 1
Level 1

I found this out the hard way also. It appears that Microsoft has removed many features that I have come to love in 2003. The important one germane to this thread is the ability to import using CSV or text files. Here is the link:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010857571033.aspx

Sorry that I was unable to find good solution.

Kersean Rozier

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco