Views
Helpful
Replies

Track IP SLA State is not updating

tim.braxmaier
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am running into an issue when tracking IP SLA. The state does not seem to update (or I am misunderstanding something).

The configuration is as follows:

ip sla 1
 icmp-echo 172.18.5.3
 frequency 10
ip sla schedule 1 life forever start-time now

track 500 ip sla 1
 delay down 60

My understanding is the "delay down" is to avoid for the state being updated instantly. So when IP 172.18.5.3 becomes unreachable, I get the following output as expected:

3560-3#show track
Track 500
  IP SLA 1 state
  State is Up, delayed Down (22 secs remaining)
    10 changes, last change 00:05:00
  Delay down 60 secs
  Latest operation return code: OK
  Latest RTT (millisecs) 1

Since the IP SLA 1 is configured with a 10 second frequency, if I make the device reachable again after 20 seconds, the track information should update before the delay down timer runs out and the track state should be "Up" again. However, this is not the case. Instead, the delay down timer runs out, the state changes to "Down". Only once it has changed to "Down", will it change to "Up" again if the state is updated from IP SLA.

Am I misunderstanding something or is there a misconfiguration?

Any help is appreciated - thanks!

Best regards,

Tim

I

1 Reply 1

Paul Bundschuh
Level 1
Level 1

Your config looks correct, and your logic is sound.  So when you make the device reachable again, but the track state still changes to down after 60 sec, does it ever come back up?

I recreated your exact commands on a 2811 router running 12.4(24), and it worked just like you thought it would, where the delay state immediately changed from down to up.  So maybe you have a bug on your equipment. Might be worth configging it on another type of router at your site, and see if it acts the same way.