Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble connecting switchs Catalyst 2950T using 10/100/1000 bast T port

hallharken
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'have connected two catalyst 2950T switch together using 10/100/1000 ports, the status led for those ports are green on both switchs, but link is not working (no communication between the two switchs)

Console port gives continuous messages indicating "port up" and then "port down" few seconds after and so on.

Switchs are operating in basic configuration.

Can anybody help me to solve this problem.

Many thanks

Hall

6 Replies 6

efrahim
Level 4
Level 4

What types of cable are you using, straight or cross over

Hello,

I'm using a four pairs UTP crossover cable as indicated in the installation guide.

Regards.

Hall

Hello,

Paste the config from both switches and letus have a look

Hello,

Both switches are in factory default configuration.

Regards

Hall

Factory default port setting is usually used when connecting a PC and not for casecading to another switch.

For example if you are casecading Port 10 on Switc1 to Port26 on Switch2, then you need to configure both switches as follows

Switch1#( interface 10) switchport mode trunk

Switch2#( interface 24) switchport mode trunk

and make sure you use Xover cable to connect them.

You will need to configure both switches and save the config, factory default will not help when you have more than 1 switch in a LAN.

Hello,

In factory default configuration, all ports (FastEthernet and GigabitEthernet) are set to dynamic desirable mode in order to allow autonegotiation for trunk links. So it wouldn't be necessary to configure GigabitEthernet ports on both switchs to work in trunk mode, because they do it automatically.

Regards.

Hall

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: