cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshoot VOIP Jitter

romanroma
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to troubleshoot bad jitter on some VOIP application. I am not really sure where to start on issues like this, but I want to start at the basic before getting into details with Qos.

I am using traceroute to see the ms of the return; however, I do not think this is the best way, since some ISP devices might lower the priority of ICMP/UDP used on traceroute. Due to the latter, what is a good way to get a rough idea if I am seeing latency inline to the hosted service?

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
An SLA (VoIP) test might be a good test tool, if you have access to Cisco devices on both end with one supporting the SLA test and the other, at least, supporting a responder.

@Joseph W. Doherty
I do not believe I have access to Cisco device. This is really a SAS type deployment for this VIOP solution I am trying to troubleshoot.

Question - if I wanted to test latency within my own network, how would I do that? Would I use something like you described, to even do local devices within my topology?

Thank you
RR

Yes you can use SLA testing locally. You just need a pair of Cisco devices that support the feature.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: