cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshoot VOIP Jitter

romanroma
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to troubleshoot bad jitter on some VOIP application. I am not really sure where to start on issues like this, but I want to start at the basic before getting into details with Qos.

I am using traceroute to see the ms of the return; however, I do not think this is the best way, since some ISP devices might lower the priority of ICMP/UDP used on traceroute. Due to the latter, what is a good way to get a rough idea if I am seeing latency inline to the hosted service?

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
An SLA (VoIP) test might be a good test tool, if you have access to Cisco devices on both end with one supporting the SLA test and the other, at least, supporting a responder.

@Joseph W. Doherty
I do not believe I have access to Cisco device. This is really a SAS type deployment for this VIOP solution I am trying to troubleshoot.

Question - if I wanted to test latency within my own network, how would I do that? Would I use something like you described, to even do local devices within my topology?

Thank you
RR

Yes you can use SLA testing locally. You just need a pair of Cisco devices that support the feature.