cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

TRUNKed VLANs & DHCP

martin.law
Level 1
Level 1

I want to configure each port on a Cat 3548 to be configured as a separate subnet & VLAN and then trunked together on port 1 using a 2621 router. The second port on the 2621 connects the the rest of the network where the DHCP server exists. Each port on the 3548 will be connected to a hub where the PCs work. Will this work ? Will DHCP be forwarded correctly to the PCs.

The aim of all this is so that is easy to identify which PCs are conected to which hubs.

I should explain that the hubs are sited between 3 & 8 km from the 3548 via fibre & media converters.

2 Replies 2

rfroom
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You will need to configure an "ip helper-address on each sub-interface for each vlan to forward the DHCP requests. See the following document for more details:

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/100.html

cpurdy
Level 1
Level 1

In addition to ip helpler, you may need to enable spanning-tree portfast on each port so the DHCP request does not time out. I have had this happen when DHCP server is across the WAN.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco