Replies

Trunking & Multi-VLAN

marco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've two Catalyst 3524XL switches.

On the switch n.1 I've two VLANs.

On the switch n.2, I've a port with a firewall connected to it: this port must be shared among the two VLANs. Between these two switches, there is a 3508XL. I think I must use trunking, but on the switch n.2 there is also Multi-VLAN that is incompatible with trunking. How can I solve this situation? The easiest should be Multi-VLAN on each switch, but this cannot be used in switch interconnection....

Thanks for the attention.

4 Replies 4

skarundi
Level 4
Level 4

Since the firewall interface can be configured to run on different 2 networks, can it be configured to use dot1q trunking ? This way you can configure a trunk between the firewall and the switch n.2 and another trunk between switch n.1 and n.2. This is the easiest way in my opinion.

You are right, you cannot use multi-vlan feature and trunking feature on the same switch.

Thanks for the quick reply Stanley,

Yes, I thought to this solution.

However I was looking at the version number of the Pix IOS; if I remember correctly, 802.1q support is a quite recent feature in Pix's.

I've discovered that the Pix is a 506E series.

And it doesn't support virtual interfaces.

This is a big problem...

I think your only options are to upgrade the pix to one that supports trunking(or multiple interfaces), or to implement a router for inter-vlan routing.