Views
Helpful
Replies

Two Catalyst 4500 high Availability

svelasquezm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I´m trying to desing a high Availability topology with two 4500, in this moment the company a 4500R-E with a supervisor 6e, and we are considering a second switch 4500R+E with supervisor 7E, is possible to interconnect both switch in high Availability with GLBP? and if is possible how is the connection between both supervisors?

Regards,

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I´m trying to desing a high Availability topology with two 4500, in this moment the company a 4500R-E with a supervisor 6e, and we are considering a second switch 4500R+E with supervisor 7E, is possible to interconnect both switch in high Availability with GLBP?

Hmmm ... Not easy.

Had your statement be that you currently have 4500R+E with Sup7E and you want to add another 4500R+E with Sup7E then my answer would be "It's possible".

Sup7E will have VSS feature sometime end of this year to mid-next year.  VSS will NOT be supported on the Sup6E.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

GLBP I believe is supported on 4500 L3 sups.

How to interconnect them depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  Since you want to use GLBP, you'll need an uplink to both 4500s from an edge switch.  There are several ways to provide redundancy.

If you intend to span VLAN beyond a single edge switch, you'll want to sync your ARP and MAC-table timers to avoid unicast flooding.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: