cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

two different SNMPv3 groups/configs on device?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

Let's say a device is already added configured for SNMPv3 and polling to solarwinds, however you want to build additional SNMPv3 configs on the same device leaving the current configs but use different group name, views, passwords, no use community, etc. Can you do this then later remove the old SNMP config after confirm new config is working and everything?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Basically not , but you can configure additional snmpv3 settings and keep the current ones in place.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

View solution in original post

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can have multiple SNMPv3 groups/users configured at the same time on the device, with or without views, as when you specify the SNMP server host, you'll specify which SNMPv3 user (which belongs to a specific SNMPv3 group) is used for the session with the SNMP server; other users/groups are sitting in there and not used for traps/informs.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Basically not , but you can configure additional snmpv3 settings and keep the current ones in place.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

I apologize but do you mean I can just create an additional group, user, etc. with a current existing group still configured?

- Yes, 

M.

Cristian Matei
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

You can have multiple SNMPv3 groups/users configured at the same time on the device, with or without views, as when you specify the SNMP server host, you'll specify which SNMPv3 user (which belongs to a specific SNMPv3 group) is used for the session with the SNMP server; other users/groups are sitting in there and not used for traps/informs.

Regards,

Cristian Matei.

TODD BEERS
Level 1
Level 1

I actually use this little template for troubleshooting with Solarwinds, which seems to hate everything but noauth in the current problem I'm tracking down. You can set the ACL up as access-list 99 permit a.b.c.d.

snmp-server group Orion_NA v3 noauth access 99
snmp-server user Orion_NA Orion_NA v3 access 99

snmp-server group Orion_Auth v3 auth access 99
snmp-server user Orion_Auth Orion_Auth v3 auth sha hashthis access 99

snmp-server group Orion_Priv v3 priv access 99
snmp-server user Orion_Priv Orion_Priv v3 auth sha hashthis priv aes 128 encryptme access 99

TODD BEERS
Level 1
Level 1

Another tip RE Solarwinds and Cisco - In order to get any level of encryption to work, I had to un-check the "Password is key" boxes for both Authentication and Encryption. Now if I could just get better than AES128 with NetMRI.....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: