cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Two switches connected but not talking

tombstone1
Level 1
Level 1

Ok I have been working on a PacketTracer for a network setup. I have a L3 switch and L2 switch that have active connection, but no traffic passing over them. Can someone see what is wrong. Follow link to get pkt file.

https://tombstonek12azus-my.sharepoint.com/:u:/g/personal/ccollins_tombstone_k12_az_us1/EaSVGbodtjlFuN8EnoOP3ksBzkbT4wGrKgbe52cdd68wLA?e=mmZYPj

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

tombstone1
Level 1
Level 1

I just want everyone to know I figured out my issue. I need to implement IP routing on the THS S2 switch.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Martin L
VIP
VIP

you need trunks between switches; check with show interface trunk

you need same vlans on all switches to match; number and ids.  check it with show vlan brief

Usually, All end hosts are connecting to access port and may be on the same vlan. If they are on the same vlan x, then no any type of routing is needed. Otherwise, router or L3 switch SVI is needed.

Occasionally servers can connect to trunk port for special purpose.  By default all ports are setup for vlan 1.  Depending on switch type/model, port has been set up as access (more likely nowadays) or trunk (some old models). Check it with show interface x/z/y switchport  

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

Martin,

There are trunks between switchs, they all have the VLANs in them correctly. 

nope, one trunk is missing; pings is ok on left side (the same vlan ) because switches use access vlan 1;  eventually you will need  a trunk but it is possible for hosts to communicate w/o trunk if they belong to vlan 1 and are on same subnet.

show int trunk  , if u see "empty space" means no trunk setup

The problem is I can't ping between the two sides on 10.0.11.1 or 10.0.11.2, the WJM T3 and the THS S2.

missing ip routing command on left switch. let us know what you trying to do?  have 2 vlans (left and right) and be able to route between them ?

Interesting p thing just happened. I added a printer to the left side (10.0.4.0) and pulled a IP address from the right side (10.0.2.0).

tombstone1
Level 1
Level 1

Just want to clarify which switches they are. The next work on the right can ping around the right side, but not reach the left. The left can ping around the Left side and reach the Cisco machine (simulated internet). For some reason the two switches connecting left and right show active link, are in each others ARP tables, and in CDP neighbor but are not actually able to reach each other.

tombstone1
Level 1
Level 1

I just want everyone to know I figured out my issue. I need to implement IP routing on the THS S2 switch.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: