cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to add a VLAN to the VLAN database although it says it has been created.

AmiBayer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am having an issue adding a VLAN to my switch.

Details:

Switch Model No - Cisco WS-C3560G-24PS-S

SW Version - 15.0(2)SE11

SW Image - C3560-IPSERVICESK9-M

VTP Version running - 1

VTP Operating Mode - Transparent

VTP Pruning Mode - Disabled

VTP Traps Generation - Disabled

Max VLANs supported locally - 1005

VLAN trying to add to VLAN database - VLAN 1180

I have approximately 60 switches in my network of various Cisco models (2900, 3560G & X, 3650, 3750, and 3850). I installed a 3650G switch awhile back to support devices in a new department we added. It has been working fine with the devices connected to it. We recently did some re-engineering of the network by adding some new equipment to an existing location near this switch. This is the location where the problem switch enters the network.  I have an administrator computer connected to this problem switch to monitor the network when I am at this location. On the problem switch, I tried adding the new VLAN onto the trunk (#switchport trunk allowed vlan add 1180) going to the re-engineered equipment location. When you do a sh run int g0/24, I do see the vlan 1180 added to the list of VLANs allowed over the trunk.

Then:

From config prompt I added vlan 1180 then named it. I did NOT see vlan 1180 when I did a sh vlan.

I went to an empty access port already configured with a vlan and changed it to vlan 1180 by doing the command #switchport access vlan 1180. I recieved the obligatory message:

% Access VLAN does not exist. Creating VLAN 1180

Normally this means it is all good and it is now in the vlan database. When I did a #do sh run int g0/10, it was NOT showing the vlan 1180 that I just changed it to. It showed the previous vlan. And it was not in the vlan database when I did a sh vlan. I tried this several times getting the same result, also doing a shut and no shut on the port. It seems as if it is being created, but it will not save into the vlan database and on the port the vlan will not change to 1180 even though it says it is created. 

I thought it might be an issue with my running VTY version as version 1 goes to 1005 VLANs locally. But when I checked other switches in the network (a 3850, a 3650 X, a 3750, and another 3650G with the same IOS image and version) they were all set to VTY version 1 and I was able to add vlan 1180 to the VLAN database if it wasn't already located in the vlan database of these other switches.

Any ideas how I can get the VLAN to save in the VLAN database?? Thanks!

5 Replies 5

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what License you have on these device ?

can you post show License

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi BB,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately the "show license" doesn't work on the 3560G. After researching, I found the following:

"

Catalyst 3750 and 3560 switches run feature-specific software releases and do not support software activation. The Catalyst 3560 switch is supported by either the IP base image or the IP services image. Hence the show license command doesn't work.

3560G#show license
^
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

3560G#show license ?
% Unrecognized command"

cmarva
Level 4
Level 4

what is your VTP mode? If it is not transparent, extended range vlans will not show up.

chris

disregard, I see you put transparent mode. the other thing to check is for this to be in your config:

spanning-tree extend sys id

that gives the necessary bits to use extended range vlans.

you can also issue "sho vlan internal usage" to make sure that it is not being used by the system for something

Hi cmarva,

Thanks for your reply.

I checked the switch config and "spanning-tree extend sys id" is in the config already.

I also did a "sho vlan internal usage" and nothing was being used.