Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to login through hostname

izharulhaque
Level 1
Level 1

Hi:

I am unable to login to switch c3560 through Hostname but able to login through IP address.

when i am putting the command :

login authentication telnetpwd

getting the below message:

AAA: Warning authentication list "telnetpwd" is not defined for LOGIN.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

mohammad izharul haque wrote:

Hi:

I am unable to login to switch c3560 through Hostname but able to login through IP address.

Hello ,

Are you saying you want to login using hostname from the LAN, then you should have dns entry for the switch with respect to ip address.

Hope to Help !!

Regards

Ganeshh Iyer

View solution in original post

so why did you configure the command "login authentication telnetpwd"?

For accessing the switch with the hostname:

just do a ping with the hostname and with the FQDN. If your machine doesn't show you the IP of the switch, then the PC doesn't know how to translate the name into an IP address. The name should be added to your DNS, or you could modify your local host-table.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

The line-command "login authentication ..." references an aaa-config that is missing. If you want to use AAA for authentication you need to enable it:

aaa new-model

aaa authentication login telnetpwd line        ! if you want to use the line-PW

aaa authentication login telnetpwd local      ! if you want to use the local usernames

But what exactly do you mean with "unable to login"? Your description sounds more like a problem with the name-resolution then a problem with the router.

izharulhaque
Level 1
Level 1

Actually in the switch i want to login through hostname as well, i am able to login through ip address.

As there is no any AAA configuration is there so i would be great if you suggest me the command to use,to access the switch from hostname as well.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

so why did you configure the command "login authentication telnetpwd"?

For accessing the switch with the hostname:

just do a ping with the hostname and with the FQDN. If your machine doesn't show you the IP of the switch, then the PC doesn't know how to translate the name into an IP address. The name should be added to your DNS, or you could modify your local host-table.

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

mohammad izharul haque wrote:

Hi:

Hello ,

Are you saying you want to login using hostname from the LAN, then you should have dns entry for the switch with respect to ip address.

Hope to Help !!

Regards

Ganeshh Iyer

Hi Karsten/Ganeshh

Thanks a lot...

you are right PC was unable to translate the ip in to hostname, manually i did in to PC host file it worked

now i need to make entry in to DNS to work from any Laptop/PC......

great help......

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: