cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to reset 1841

Jarrod Mules
Level 1
Level 1

As the title says I need the communitys help to reset an 1841 router.

I bought the router for my homelab as im currently in CCNA 2.

The router hasnt been reloaded and erased and has the no password recovery functionality enabled so i cant enter Rommon.

Ive tried another technique issuing a break after the image has decompressed but to no avail.

I have removed the cmos with no luck and finally I removed the flash which puts the router into a boot loop. 

If anyone has encountered this issue or has any other ways plaes share.

Thanks, Jarrod

10 Replies 10

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

When the router is booting, some time after it has decompressed the image, you can send a break and it asks you if you want to erase the configuration.  If you say yes then it'll wipe the config and you can get in.

I found this method earlier, unforunately all it does for me is resets the boot and does not ask if I want to erase the configuration

Edwin Portillo
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi @Jarrod Mules

You have two alternatives:

1. If you have a password and you do not know it:

A) Catch and turn on the router from the front button.

B) Wait for the SO to load and precious the CTRL + PAUSE keys (it depends on the manufacturer of your keyboard, as well as the PAUSE key) until you are as promt of the system ROMMON>

C) change to registration mode 0x2142

Rommon> confreg 0x2142

D) reboot the device

Rommon> reset.

You wait for the device to start ...

E) you will give an account that does not ask for a password, you can pass the different levels of users until you reach a privileged user where you should write:

Router # erase startup-config

F) change the registration mode to 0x2102. 

Router (config) # config-register 0x2102

G) reboots the device and shows you a message where you have to tell it if you save the changes.

Router (config) # Reload

2. When the device does not ask for a password You only have to do step E.

If you want to reset the IOS of your device and allow you to enter the global user mode you should verify which is the IOS that has to appear with the extension.

Router (config) # do dir flash

c1841-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M1.bin

Router (config) # boot system flash: c1841-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M1.bin

Then just restart the device.

Unfortunately the previous owner issued the router with a no password recovery functionality making entering rommon impossible. The router is completely secured with a password so just entering global config is not an option.

One of the outputs is that if you have another router of the same series you have the copy and run it in the router that you can not enter unless you want to install the IOS from scratch.

Thanks Edwin, I may be able to use a friends version. Will try that at some point. 

Thanks to you. If you find a solution, I'll be aware that you share it.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
1841 has a removable compact flash. What happens if you eject the CF and power up the router? Does it go immediately to ROMmon?

Have you managed to reset it?

Eject the CF (flash from the back)
boot clicking Ctrl+break
rommon1>confreg 0x2142

rommon2>reset

then insert again the flash to configure it

Update if you have solved it since then...

@KonstantinosTsardounis98555 wrote:

boot clicking Ctrl+break

If the CF is already ejected, there is no need to do this.