cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrade WLC 5508

knarf_2
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to upgrade my Cisco WLC 5508 with 125 AP's from 7.0.116 to 7.4.110, so it can support the new AIR-CAP2602 and the old AIR-LAP1142 at the same time, but for some reasons the AP's will not accept the new software.

(Cisco Controller) >show boot

Primary Boot Image............................... 7.0.116.0 (default) (active)

Backup Boot Image................................ 7.4.110.0

I have tried to predownload the new image to all AP's from the WLC, and it sucses, but the predownloaded image was not copied into the Backup image.

(Cisco Controller) >show ap image all

Total number of APs..............................   125

Number of APs

Initiated........................................... 0

Predownloading................................ 125

Completed predownloading................ 0

Not Supported.................................. 0

Failed to Predownload....................... 0

Predownload     Predownload

AP Name            Primary Image  Backup Image   Status          Version        Next Retry Time  Retry Count

------------------ -------------- -------------- --------------- -------------- ---------------- ------------

AP-xx-01               7.0.116.0      7.0.116.0      Complete        7.4.110.0      NA               NA

When I then re-boot the WLC on the new software (7.4.110), the AP's just show up in the GUI as "downloadning" and the the AP's re-boot. This going on and on, so I had to force the WLC to reset on the old software (7.0.116).

I think my problem is, that the AP's have the same image atached to both Primary and Backup, so my question is:

• How do I clear the information about the Backup image in the AP's and downlod the new image to the AP's?
  • Can I ftp/tftp the new image direct to the AP's and Then do any configurations at the AP's to make it the Backup image?

THX Frank

9 Replies 9

knarf_2
Level 1
Level 1

More info:

(Cisco Controller) >show ap sum

Number of APs.................................... 125

Global AP User Name.............................. Not Configured

Global AP Dot1x User Name........................ Not Configured

AP Name             Slots  AP Model              Ethernet MAC       Location          Port  Country  Priority

------------------  -----  --------------------  -----------------  ----------------  ----  -------  ------

AP-xx-01      2     AIR-LAP1142N-C-K9     00:22:90:91:14:7b  default location  LAG      CN       1

Hi Frank,

It's a long shot, but have you upgrade the FUS on your WLC. There have been two revisions since 7.0.116.0:

http://software.cisco.com/download/release.html?mdfid=282600534&flowid=7012&softwareid=284364857&release=1.9.0.0

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb

Yes it is a long shot, but thanks.

I have another WLC (same HW/SW), that I upgraded in the weekend with no problems, even that the FUS is old.

The "faulty" WLC

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.0.116.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console 1.27

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

The "working" WLC

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.

Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller

Product Version.................................. 7.4.110.0

Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1

Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0

Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console 1.27

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

Just to clarify, once you have uploaded the new code to the WLC and check the new image is primary, you issue:

config image ap predownload primary

....wait an age for all the downloads to occur, issue:

sh ap image all

...check for the preloaded image position on the APs, then type:

config image ap swap all

...wait...,check:

sh ap image all

...then:

save config

reset system

Regarding hacking around on the APs once they are in LWAP mode, the number of commands at your disposal is greatly reduced, to the extent that you cannot even delte images from flash!

cheers,

Seb.

Hi Seb

Thanks again, but have allready done that.

As you can see at my first entry, primary and backup image is the same (marked in red) and the preloaded version is another and compleated (marked in blue).

Hi Frank,

Primary Boot Image............................... 7.0.116.0 (default) (active)

Backup Boot Image................................ 7.4.110.0

Since your controller backup image is 7.4.100.0, when you pre-download the image to AP use the following ("backup" keyword instead of "primary")

(Cisco Controller) >config ap image predownload backup all

Then check "show ap image all" to confirm that new image version shown as pre-downloaded image version in your APs.

Then you can go ahead & swap the image on all your APs using

(Cisco Controller) >config ap image swap all

Then you can change the boot image on WLC to pointing to 7.4.110.0 & reset your controller.

(Cisco Controller) >config boot backup

Primary Boot Image............................... Code 7.0.116.0 (active)

Backup Boot Image................................ Code 7.4.110.0 (default)

(Cisco Controller) >reset system

Let us know how it goes

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hej rasikanayanajith

Thanks for your input, but allready tried and it didn't help.

A "show ap image all" stil say, even after "config ap image swap all":

AP Name            Primary Image  Backup Image   Status          Version        Next Retry Time  Retry Count

------------------ -------------- -------------- --------------- -------------- ---------------- ------------

AP-xx-01             7.0.116.0      7.0.116.0      Complete        7.4.110.0      NA               NA

Hi Frank,

Try to use a different image like 7.4.121.0 & see. Use only CLI method & makesure image will copied to AP correctly prior to reboot WLC.

If possible keep a test AP  where console cable connected, so you can see what's exaclty going on at the AP level.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasikanayanajith

Thanks for your input, already on the task list.

It is planed to try to upgrade to 7.0.240.0 in next service window, and if it works, jump to 7.4.110.0.

I will also try to get a console on a AP, next time we reboot, but the problem is that I'm located in Denmark and the controller and AP's are placed in China.

Best regards

Frank

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: