cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

UPGRADING MEMORY ON SUP1A-GE WITH MSFC

jarambalza
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I need to upgrade DRAM/Flash onto a WS-X6K-SUP1A-GE with MSFC. I have found a link:

<http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/cfgnotes/78_14357.htm>

where shows that the replace of the MSFC1 is not recommended becouse supervisor could be damaged. Is it really so dangerous to release this MSFC from supervisor to upgrade it and later install it again?

Thanks in advanced!

4 Replies 4

zhang-hao
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, I think your WS-X6K-SUP1A-GE doesn't have MSFC2, so you need not worry about the removing of MSFC. Just pull out the Supervisor engine, you can see the location of the DRAM/Flash, then do the upgrade following the procedure as described in the document.

Regards,

Hao

Hi Hao, thanks for your response. Yes, we haven't MSFC2, we have MSFC1. My Customer wants to add more DDRAM/FLASH to the supervisor; this implies to release the msfc, make the supervisor mem upgrade and reinstall the msfc1. This last step is consider in the document as dangerous. I'd like to know if really is so dangerous to reinstall the msfc on the supervisor. Best regards. Juan Luis

Hi, Juan.

Since the DRAM is located beneath the MSFC2 for WS-X6K-SUP1A-MSFC. In order to upgrade the supervisor engine, you must remove the MSFC2 from the supervisor engine. Therefore I have to admit there's some risk removing and reinstalling MSFC2 because it's possible to damage certain components.

But I still don't understand why you need to remove your MSFC1 even if you can upgrade the DRAM and Flash on the board without any tough job. Am i misunderstanding your meaning?

Best regards,

Hao

Hi Hao,

Really we have mounted on supervisor MSFC routing modules not MSFC2. It seens that MSFC1 is more dangerous to manipulate than MSFC2. Are you agree with it?

Best Regards,

Juan Luis