cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

User Tracking not discovering some devices

jjiles
Level 1
Level 1

We have several Cat6509 switches running ios in our backbone network. All devices have been discovered by the ANI and I can see them well connected in the Topology Services of Campus Manager 3.2

When I try to see which devices are connected to the links of all my Cat6509 switches through the User Tracking App, in one of the switches all I see is one link from it and another cat6509 I can not see at all. Through the Configuration Management I compared the configurations and the all are the same; the only difference is that the switch I can not see at all is running MSFC software. I also check the switches for CDP, SNMP access, and access-lists. We use the User Tracking App. to check when users move machines from one port to another in their switches for trouble shooting purposes.

Am I missing something that is preventing User Tracking from discovering, or properly discovering these 2 switches???

Thanks for any suggestions.

6 Replies 6

rmushtaq
Level 8
Level 8

Not sure if you've seen this: http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/477/Campus/ani.shtml already. But if not, then this can help.

dan.richter
Level 1
Level 1

I've been struggling with some of our 6509 Catalysts in regard to this same issue. We converted our switch block 6509s from CatOS (with logically separate msfc routers) to IOS (where the msfc router configurations merge with the switch configuration). Its apparent that after that time our CiscoWorks _User Tracking_ (U. T.) application quit "seeing" anything that exists on subnets owned by those switches' routers.

I picked up on this when several of us tried repeatedly to refresh stale information and couldn't clean up the entries. At one point I blew away one of the VLANs/subnets displayed in U. T. to try a fresh discover. That's when I realized that CiscoWorks quit resolving the results of U. T. discover jobs. Like you pointed out, Campus Manager maps these switches and RME databased them in ANI. Just the same, I tried various seed router IP addresses.

Recently I ran a Sniffer on a span of our CiscoWorks server's LAN connection (ironically, a port on one of the switches in question.) I launched a 'Discover Subnet' job and ran a packet capture of what happened. The capture showed a volley of SNMP requests and replies, including mib OID strings. However, this flood of information doesn't make its way into the U. T. table. There's no reference to the subnet whatsoever after the job is finished and I click OK on update.

I'm about to take the whole matter to TAC...

james.amann
Level 1
Level 1

I am having similar problems and am wondering if you found any resolution.

Please check whether ports of those devices are in switched mode or in routed mode. If the ports are in routed mode, it will not show user tracking

Are you sure about this! I have Cat6509's with routed mode ports and UT has no problem getting information from them, on the other hand, I also have similar Cat6509 that UT cannot get any port information from.

Does any one have any new information on this problem?????

Not sure if this applies, but we had the problem that UT could not discover end hosts on some CatOS devices, but could on other CatOS devices. Eventually this turned out to be bug CSCin23282, which says that UT doesn't work on CatOS if you have 4096 VLANs. Now we have <100 VLANs, but there *is* a default VLAN 4095 auto-configured by some switches. Anyway, the problem was solved by the patch for CSCin23282 from TAC.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: