Views
Helpful
Replies

Virtual Wireless Controller 7.5 DTLS and Officeextend

hisham683
Level 1
Level 1

Hello

According to Cisco the Virtual Wireless Controller version 7.5 now supports DTLS payload encryption, which would allow for remote teleworkers to to have an AP remotely joined in.

This also leads me to believe we can now configure OfficeExtend on the new vWLC as well, a feature which was only supported on the 5500 and 2500 controllers before. However, the only issue is that we need to install a DTLS license before we can enable data encryption on access points.

I am not able to enable data encryption on a an 1142 AP joined to my virtual WLC because it says there's no DTLS license installed. Cisco offers the DTLS license to download for free, but so far I only see options to download licenses for 5500, 2500, 7500 and 8500 controllers. There is no option to obtain the license for vWLC.

So first, I need to confirm that DTLS is supported on vWLC 7.5, and then if anyone would point out as to how I can obtain the DTLS license for that controller I would be grateful.

Thanks

7 Replies 7

hisham683
Level 1
Level 1

Well I managed to install DTLS license by pretending it was a Flex 7500 controller instead and with that I can enable data encryption on the access point.

However, still could not enable office extend, therefore I conclude not possible in virtual controller 7.5 yet.

Funny thing is that the matrix of wireless controllers features clearly states that office extend is a supported feature on vWLC:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/products_category_buyers_guide.html#~controllers

-edit-

btw, I almost have office extend working on vWLC 7.5

Needs some more troubleshooting.

abbzer0
Level 1
Level 1

I am having the same problem as well.   I just upgraded to 7.6.100.0 and the DTLS license isn't installed.  (At least I try to enable Data Encryption on an AP and it says that feature isn't supported.  That features uses DTLS.)   Just curious if you were able to get this working.  I would like to purchaser some AP600's for office extend.

heiki saaver
Level 1
Level 1

At the moment the only way to get office extend working using vWLC is to use Cisco Aironet 600 Series OfficeExtend Access Points. If you dont like this limitation then you should use a physical WLC controller and use any other AP that is supported for office-extend.

That was the response from a cisco TAC case I had opened. TAC engineers also admitted that the documentation about this is poor and misleading.

Thanks for the quick response!!   The AIR-OEAP602I-A-K9 AP will be fine for my office extend functionality.  Thanks again!!

Has anyone been able to get this working?

I tried installing a DTLS license and was able to get an OE 600 AP to connect to a vWLC running 7.6, but was not able to pass traffic from a client on the AP to the network connected to the vWLC - couldn't even ping the vWLC from the client. But, I did get a DHCP assignment from the vWLC, and all looks okay in the OE 600 AP Event Logs and vWLC.

Any ideas? If not, will try raising a TAC tomorrow.

Thanks,

Tom

I haven't had a chance to purchase a 600 series OE AP yet.  If you do find out some information from TAC, please respond back to this thread, as I would be very interested prior to purchasing one to connect to my vWLC.   Thanks!!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: