Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN not available on Cisco 2621

ayodele.okeowo
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

This is my first post ever on the Cisco site, so I would appreciate any help I can get.

I purchased a Cisco 2621 with IOS Version 12.3(26) on it. When I went through the commands, I couldn't find any VLAN or VTP available. I need to make sure I can see this on the device in order for me be able configure VLAN on my network and get ready for my CCNA exam.

Below is the version on the device and I also attached the available commands:

Version: IOS (tm) C2600 Software (C2600-I-M), Version 12.3(26), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)

Thanks

4 Replies 4

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

2621 is a router not a switch. Either you use a real switch or you install a switching module like NM-16ESW.

And to configure VLANS you must be in enable mode for VLAN database or in config mode.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Thanks Cadet, but unfortunately the VLAN Database is not available and neither is the the VTP; which is the reason for this post.

I switched to enable mode with no success and if u check the commands attachment, you'll see that there are no VLAN and VTP exec commands. Was there any bug in this version of IOS? And I can't downgrade it to 12.2 or upgrade to 12.4.

Thanks for your assistance in this.

As i said before you need a switching module to configure vlans because this is a router not a switch.

Regards.

Alain.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Now it makes more sense. I will work on getting that. Thanks a bunch for your input.