Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN Routing

rkirchoff
Level 1
Level 1

I need some help.

I created a VLAN on our 6509 called VLAN2. I have also created a VLAN called VLAN2 on a Cisco 2950. I need my two devices to beable to talk to each other on VLAN2.

Here is our setup.

One Device1 connected to 6509 on VLAN2. 6509 connects to our 3660 at site 1. 3660 connects to WAN. Wan connects to site 2 which is also a 3660. 3660 connects to 2950. Device 2 connects to 2950 VLan2.

My two devices are not able to communicate to each other on VLAN2. What do I need to do to accomplish my task?

Thanks

4 Replies 4

bhatia.sachin
Level 1
Level 1

I hope u have chosen different IP addressing scheme for both the vlans otherwise the packets will never get past 6509 at site 1 or 2950 at site 2.what kind of wan connectivity ur using between the sites ??

williamwbishop
Level 1
Level 1

Let me get this straight...

You have two different sites. With two different routers. You have two vlan2's, one at each site.

Unless you can get to both switch domains without hitting a router interface, you can't share them. VLAN's end at the router. If you connect into a router to get between sites, then it will simply be another network. You could probably get around this with tunneling or some such thing, but that is beyond my abilities as yet.

If I have not described your problem accurately, please be specific.

joyride_us
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I see 2 solutions :

1. transparent bridging configured on both routers with trunking. This one will work but on the other hand, you kind of 'lose' the routers that become a switches-like. If both hosts,on each side, are on the same subnet : it is the only to go!

2. I am not sure about this one : trunking all the way on all interfaces from switch1 to switch2, no bridging, use normal routing otherwise with static routes or something. Will it work ? It is worth a shot!

Good luck

minimintu
Level 1
Level 1

is the device 1 connected to 6509 on VLAN2 able to ping 3660 at site 1 and is the device 2 connected to 2950 on VLAN2 able to ping 3660 at site 2 ?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: