Helpful
Replies

VLAN setup on a 2950-SX

iactcrazy
Level 1
Level 1

HELP!!!

hi,

we have purchased two new 2950-sx switches. want to setup VLANs. two different ip ranges 192.168.104 and 192.168.266.. i can setup the VLAN on the switch and then assign it to an ethernet port but how do i setup an IP address/route? is there any commands. i am new to CISCO so my knowledge is basic. if anyone could help that would be great.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Any l2/l3 switch would do what I think you are trying to do which is to "route" between the vlans you create, like 3550,4506 with any of the current supervisors, 3750 etc... Unfortunetly you bought one of the few strictly layer 2 switches that Cisco makes which does not do any routing function .

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

sevans1979
Level 4
Level 4

I would try the following

Switch#vlan database

Switch(vlan)#vlan 1

then do

Switch(vlan)#vlan 2

Those two commands should create vlan's 1 and 2

Then from enable mode do the following

Switch#conf t

Switch(config)#interface vlan 1

Switch(config-if)#ip address 192.168.104.1 255.255.255.0

Switch(config-if)#interface vlan 2

Switch(config-if)#ip address 192.168.266.1 255.255.255.0

that should work for you. The ip address above might be wrong, just make sure they are in the right subnets. Just insert the correct ip address's in the above commands

Hope this helps, please rate if it does

Scott

thanks Scott,

looks like exactly what i want to do. will try tomorrow and let you know the outcome. one little thing, once i have entered the ip address do i use the exit or shutdown command? and then show vlan to see if it works right?

cheers

You can hit ctrl+z to exit the config mode. Then try it out. Because once you hit enter the changes take effect in the running-config. If all is well with the above commands then you want to copy the config. That command will be

Switch#copy run start

Then hit enter again for the destination of the save.

Dont type shutdown, that will shutdown the interface and nothing will work on it.

You can do a "no shutdown" command on each vlan interface just to make sure they are "up"

Hope this helps, and keep me posted

Scott

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can create 2 different vlans , but this is a layer 2 box only and you will need a router or a l2/l3 switch to be able to talk between the subnets . I don't think it will let you have more than 1 SVI up on the switch , it will automatically shutdown 1 of them .

The address you assign to switch is for managing the switch only and has no effect on any routing . If you need to talk between the vlans then you will have to trunk from your 2950 up to a router or l2/3 switch . The ip address and the default-gateway on the 2950 is strictly for managing the switch .

Glen, thanks for clearing that up.

I just got a 2950 today myself and after messing with it and reading my previous post you are correct.

When you create a second "interface vlan" the first one gets shutdown.

You are correct, you can only have 1 "interface vlan". Usually this will be "interface vlan 1" then with a ip address that you will use as management.

So he will only be able to "extend" the vlan's between the switchs. And the only way he will be able to talk between different subnets will be with a L3 switch or a Fastethernet router interface?

Thanks Glen.

P.S. Steve (you know who you are), thank you too for clearing up the above info aswell

Scott

ok guys,

Thanks for your help. Scott, I did what you originally said and low and behold, it did shutdown my Vlan 2. Vlan 1 stayed up. So I am back to square one. And from what you guys have been saying I need another router or a switch to do this. A shame as we purchased these switches mainly for VLAN purposes. Do you know if any L3 switch can do this or will it have to be a managed CISCO switch?

Thanks again

Any l2/l3 switch would do what I think you are trying to do which is to "route" between the vlans you create, like 3550,4506 with any of the current supervisors, 3750 etc... Unfortunetly you bought one of the few strictly layer 2 switches that Cisco makes which does not do any routing function .

Ok

After a few posts and talking to various people, a L3 switch is what we shall need to purchase. Thanks for your help. Wouldn’t have known myself and would be thinking why my VLANS were not working.

thanks again.

You may still create VLAN's on your current L2 switches, you simply need an external router to provide the interVLAN routing. Purchasing a low end (say 2600) series router, and setting up 'router on a stick' config would be considerably less expensive than L3 switches, and is a perfectly valid solution.

Cheers,

JTerheun

'From the ranks of the seriously unemployed'

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: