Announcements

Views
Helpful
Replies
Highlighted
Beginner

VLAN trunking with backup routing via VPN

Hello,

Please review these requirements, the solution that's been proposed and whether you think it'll work or any other answers to the problem.

Site A

Workstations

Servers (Production)

Phone system (Production)

Wi-Fi

Printers

Internet breakout

Datacentre

Servers (Disaster Recovery)

Phone system (disaster recovery)

Internet breakout

Important - For a reason I haven't yet got to the bottom of the customer needs to 'spread' VLANs between the two sites.

They have a 1GB layer 2 point-to-point link between a switch at either end configured as a trunk port and would like a backup solution in the event of the p2p link failing. Rather than a second p2p link from another provider they'd like to use a VPN between the ASA at each site to trunk the VLANs as a backup.

Questions -

1) Would this work at all?

2) How would it work (L2TP or GRE?)

3) Is there a better way to achieve the backup via public internet?

Many thanks,

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

L2TP may do it

but this is not a good solution to extended L2 VLAN over Internet, and the question why they need to have a redundant path for L2 DR site the HA should take place in the case of the L2 link is down !!

if you have a WAN i would say using Nexus or ASR with OTV could be an option as well for L2 expansion over a L3 network

hope this help

3 REPLIES 3

L2TP may do it

but this is not a good solution to extended L2 VLAN over Internet, and the question why they need to have a redundant path for L2 DR site the HA should take place in the case of the L2 link is down !!

if you have a WAN i would say using Nexus or ASR with OTV could be an option as well for L2 expansion over a L3 network

hope this help

Beginner

Thanks for your reply. I agree it's not a good idea and will pass that on!

Dave

glad to help and thanks for the nice rating

CreatePlease to create content
Content for Community-Ad
July's Community Spotlight Awards