Views
Helpful
Replies

VLAN trunking with backup routing via VPN

Dave Lewis
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please review these requirements, the solution that's been proposed and whether you think it'll work or any other answers to the problem.

Site A

Workstations

Servers (Production)

Phone system (Production)

Wi-Fi

Printers

Internet breakout

Datacentre

Servers (Disaster Recovery)

Phone system (disaster recovery)

Internet breakout

Important - For a reason I haven't yet got to the bottom of the customer needs to 'spread' VLANs between the two sites.

They have a 1GB layer 2 point-to-point link between a switch at either end configured as a trunk port and would like a backup solution in the event of the p2p link failing. Rather than a second p2p link from another provider they'd like to use a VPN between the ASA at each site to trunk the VLANs as a backup.

Questions -

1) Would this work at all?

2) How would it work (L2TP or GRE?)

3) Is there a better way to achieve the backup via public internet?

Many thanks,

Dave

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

L2TP may do it

but this is not a good solution to extended L2 VLAN over Internet, and the question why they need to have a redundant path for L2 DR site the HA should take place in the case of the L2 link is down !!

if you have a WAN i would say using Nexus or ASR with OTV could be an option as well for L2 expansion over a L3 network

hope this help

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

L2TP may do it

but this is not a good solution to extended L2 VLAN over Internet, and the question why they need to have a redundant path for L2 DR site the HA should take place in the case of the L2 link is down !!

if you have a WAN i would say using Nexus or ASR with OTV could be an option as well for L2 expansion over a L3 network

hope this help

Thanks for your reply. I agree it's not a good idea and will pass that on!

Dave

glad to help and thanks for the nice rating