cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VLANs with Catalyst3560 and CE500

msubtain
Level 1
Level 1

I have 1 3560, which i am using as CORE SWITCH, my intension is to segment the users into different groups and then make VLANS on 3560, e.g MARKETING, FINANACE, ADMINISTRATION, PROJECTS, and so on, i have Cisco CE500 series switches (WS-CE500-24TT) as workgroup switches, what i want to do is to use the 10/100/1000 ports on these switches to plug into 3560's appropriate VLAN ports.

The problem i am facing is on 3560 i am getting message

"NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on GigabitEt

hernet0/2 (12), with administration1 GigabitEthernet1 (1)"

on CE500, they have VLAN support in them, which i really dont want to use, all ports on them are part of management vlan 1 by default. so in this case the VLAN created on 3560 is MARKETING VLAN12 so i am getting NATIVE VLAN mismatch message.

Can i disable VLAN support on CE500? which i guess i can;t.

Switchport mode is Access on gig 0/2 (3560)

Can anyone throw some light on how to deal with the mentioned above situation.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Just to add to Glens post, you can disable CDP on the 3560 or CE500 and you will not see that message ever again.

Regards,

-amit singh

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

mahmoodmkl
Level 7
Level 7

HI

Your scenario is little bit confusing.Can u explain what r u trying to accomplish.U have said that u r going to create vlan on 3560 thats fine.is this switch is going to act as a VTP Server..?.

U said that u will plugging the CE500 series in the 3560 and u will not have any vlans on them.

will u be defining the ports on 3560 as trunk ports?

or access-ports.

Thanks

Mahmood

Thanks for your reply,

All i want is to create all VLANs on 3560, and use CE500 as workgroup switches,

I want to plug uplink ports of CE500 directly into 3560 (defined)VLAN ports, e.g i have 3 CE500 switches 1 for Marketing, 1 finance, 1 for Administration, i want to create 3 vlans on 3560 assign them to 3 ports on 3560, then plug those CE500 to those ports for User connectivity.

How can this be accomplish with 3560 and CE500 combination?

Hi!

I would suggest you to use VTP for managing all you VLANs. You can make your core switch as VTP server and all other switch should be made to operate in VTP client mode. This way it would be very easy to manage all your VLANs.

Read the following link for more on VTP:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps5528/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00801e8788.html

Please rate the post if it helps.

do i really have to use VTP in this situation, when my intention is to do all work in terms of VLANs on one single switch (3560)?

Well that is what something I would recommend. You dont really need to do that. But the fact is that using VTP would really simplify what you are trying to do.

Please rate all the posts.

Regards,

AbhisheK

I think VTP might be a overhead for the switch as i dont need it in my situation.

I have set 3560 in VTP transparent mode

Can you please explain a bit from configurational point of view without using VTP?

just tryit out configure one 500A for vlan 2, one 500B for vlan 3 and one 500C for vlan 4 and put all the ports of appropriate 500 switches are in to the appropriate VLAN...now create the vlan 2, vlan 3 and vlan 4 on 3560 and assing vlan to appropriate ports...

now connect the 500A's port to the 3560's vlan 2 port

connect the 500B's port to the 3560's vlan 3 port

connect the 500C's port to the 3560's vlan 4 port

just check it out...i had never configure such topology so try it and let me know...

may this will help you

rate this post if it helps

regards

Devang

Hi DEVANG,

thanks for your reply, i have already tried the same as u explained in ur post.

on 3560

interface GigabitEthernet0/2

switchport access vlan 12

switchport mode access

interface Vlan12

description Administration

ip address 10.249.12.254 255.255.255.0

VTP Transparent

on CE500

All ports are in Default VLAN1

switch IP address is 10.249.12.253

gateway = 10.249.12.254

smartport configured with appropriate roles, desktop, switches etc.

what i am getting on 3560 console is

NATIVE_VLAN_MISMATCH: Native VLAN mismatch discovered on GigabitEt

hernet0/2 (12), with administration1 GigabitEthernet1 (1).

Hi

What u can do is configure ur CE500 in vtp transparent mode.And configure each vlan on the CE500 i.e on CE500 one vlan like that on all switches and create the individual vlans on the siwtches and assign all the ports to native-vlan which u have created.

Thanks

Mahmood

As there is no CLI for CE500, there is no option to change VTP on web interface for these switches.

now try with the trunking and all and also deploy the VTP pruning...take a look at this

http://www.firewall.cx/vlans-vtp-pruning.php

hope this may works

regards

Devang

HI

In ur ce500 u have to create the vlan12 and define this switch in vtp transparent mode.

Thanks

Mahmood

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Unless you change your native vlan on the ce500's to match what is on the 3560 end you are going to get native vlan mismatch errors . The unit will still work but you are just going to get those annoying messages filling up your logs ...

Just to add to Glens post, you can disable CDP on the 3560 or CE500 and you will not see that message ever again.

Regards,

-amit singh