cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VM Communication Through vNICs

asktiger0
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody, I create an application on a UCS standard server based on multiple VMs. On the server I have several Cisco’s NICs supporting several vNICs. The VMs have a passthrough access to the NICs.

Im trying to create internal communication between VMs using the NICs instead of host implementations for virtual switch.

So, does a way for two vNICs to communicate between them exists?

Thanks ahead

4 Replies 4

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Have a review of this document :

https://www.vmware.com/content/dam/digitalmarketing/vmware/en/pdf/techpaper/virtual_networking_concepts.pdf

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

The problem is that I use the physical adapter in passthrough-mode. It means my VM can access directly to the vNICs that the NIC exports. I'm searching for a way to navigate traffic between two CISCO vNICs that are on the same physical NIC. Searching for a built in switching mechanism inside the physical adapter.

Hello

If the VMs vNICs are connected to the same vS, Then they should be able to reach each other, However if they are connected to two different vS then they need to go via anohter VM that have vNICs in both vS, or via a pNIC that attached to the physical network connecting all vS.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I wish to ask if it’s possible to connect the CISCO vNICs to a virtual switch and if it is how it’s done?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco