cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

VRF Route Distinguisher - VRF-Lite configuration

cslacker
Level 1
Level 1

I understand that Route Distinguishers are not required for VRF-lite configurations.

Also, I understand that Route Distinguishers are only required when routing VRFs through BGP.

My question is if the above is true, must Route Distinguishers be configured on all participating routers, or is it sufficient to configure route distinguishers only at the network edge?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

cslacker
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to lab this up in GNS3.  My current understanding:

Route Distinguishers are significant on Provider Edge (PE) routers, running MP-BGP.  They need not be configured on internal customer routers running VRF-lite. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It all depends on how your network design, where is the EDGE mean in your network, is this edge customer or provider ?

please read below document give you some clarity.(this is from notes the concept and explanation).

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/optical/15000r8_0/ethernet/454/guide/d80ether/r8vrf.pdf

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

cslacker
Level 1
Level 1

I was able to lab this up in GNS3.  My current understanding:

Route Distinguishers are significant on Provider Edge (PE) routers, running MP-BGP.  They need not be configured on internal customer routers running VRF-lite. 

So is this resolved with your GNS3 configuration and same was replicated over working one ?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help