cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Wake on LAN across Layer 3

rwilletts
Level 1
Level 1

When setting up WOL across a Layer 3 boundary you have to enter an ' ip helper ' address on the WOL server L3 vlan for each subnet you want to ' wake '.

What if you have 200+ subnets , I'm fairly sure the practical limit for ' ip helper ' addresses is 16 ?

5 Replies 5

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Maybe the WOL server should be configured to send to the direct broadcast address of each remote subnet ?

Or you expect the router to perform packet replication at no configuration and processing cost ?

I wonder where the original poster got the idea that the practical limit for ip helper-address was 16? I agree that there is some additional overhead on the router for each helper-address that you add to the configuration. But a router should be able to process a lot more than 16 helper-addresses.

200+ would be a lot of helper-addresses and depending on what kind of router (how much CPU does it have) and what other features are configured doing 200+ might be a stretch. But most routers should be able to do lots more than 16.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

rwilletts
Level 1
Level 1

Quote from a previous TAC case ;

DHCP processes first 16 'ip helper-address' entries as per the order of configuration

I tend to agree with Richard. I guess some practical testing would be needed.

louisroggo
Level 1
Level 1

I just tested this in my environment and if the WOL server sends out a directed broadcast there is no need for the helper addresses on the Wake On LAN server environment.  The only thing you need to do is enable ip directed-broadcast oon the client subnets.  Microsoft SCCM is capable of this, and you can find a free utility to test such as WOLcmd.exe that also performs directed broadcasts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: