Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what cable to connect the fa0/0 port on a router to the fa0/0 switch port

i don't know if i know this question, but i got it in the exam recently and i chose - straight-through cable. please is this right? if not then what is the right cable to use?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Friend,

Yes this statement is wrong!!

As I mentioned in my first post divide the networ device in 2 groups.

Switch and Router belong to different group so need a straight through cable and if any device need to be connected in same group needs a cross over cable.

HTH, if yes please rate the post.

Ankur

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

That is correct - a straight-through cable is what you need.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi Friend,

As Paresh already confirmed you the right answer but I will tell you the trick to remember this.

Divide the major network devices in 2 groups

Group A (Router,PC,Server)

Group B (Switch,Bridge,Hub)

Whenever you have to connect devices in 2 different groups use straight through cable and when you have to connect any devices in same group use corss cable.

Ankur

yasirirfan
Level 4
Level 4

please let me know which router ur using. As far as i know majority of routers work with cross cable.

Hi Friend,

No router needs a corss cable to connect to switch. They always need a straight cable.

Yes if router has a switch module and you connect via switch module to switch then you need a cross cable.

But talking about a ganeral router with its layer 3 interface when connected to switch need a straight cable for sure.

Regards,

Ankur

that is the big problem: in the exam, the question just stated 'what cable would you use to connect the fa0/0 port of a router to the fa0/0 port of a switch?' they did not state on which particular router. so what would your answer be to such an ambiguous question? straight-through or crossover?

the numbering "fa0/0" on a router logically precludes a switch module on a router, as it would be something like "fax/y/z" so you can assume a router port connecting to a switch port, which will always be a straight through.

HTH,

Bobby

so in effect, the statement below is wrong?:

"The fastEthernet ports on a router and a switch are both RJ-45 ports. It means we have similar devices on both ends. So a crossover cable must be used here."

apparently the above statement is wrong!

Hi Friend,

Yes this statement is wrong!!

As I mentioned in my first post divide the networ device in 2 groups.

Switch and Router belong to different group so need a straight through cable and if any device need to be connected in same group needs a cross over cable.

Ankur

It was wrong.

Hello
Nowadays ports on routers/switches usually support auto-mdix which can negate the need for crossover cabling between devices unless that is you are working with quite old hardware.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yes, as noted by Ankur, and others, that statement is wrong.

Although both devices use RJ-45, wiring of pins differ between MDI and MDI-X.  For MDI <> MDI-X you'll need a strait through cable.  For MDI <> MDI or MDI-X to MDI-X, you need a cross over cable.

However, as mentioned by Paul, some devices can dynamically self configure their port as MDI or MDI-X.  For those devices, you can use either cable type.  Also, however, for devices that support auto MDI/MDI-X, the port might need to be configured a certain way, on Cisco devices, usually port must be "auto" mode.  If you hard configure speed/duplex, the port will normally be configured just as MDI or MDI-X, whatever is "normal" for the device.

Lastly, standard MDI or MDI-X for the device is generally set so that for unlike devices, that usually connect, one is MDI and one MDI-X, using, again, a strait through cable, e.g. switch <> host or switch <> router.  "Like" devices, e.g. switch to switch (copper) will have same type of connection, which, without auto MDI, will need cross over cable.