Views
Helpful
Replies

What happened to my switch? or DHCP?

mayrac
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I hope i can get some clarity because i am very confused! My Network went down very briefly and when a certain switch came back up, the devices connected to it lost the ability to obtain their IP address, They had a reserved IP address in DHCP and now they will not connect automatically like they used too. I am not sure what may have caused this problem.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Mayra

10 Replies 10

johnd2310
Level 8
Level 8

Hi,

It could be that the switch lost its config because it was not saved before the power failure. Check the config of the switch.

Thanks

John

**Please rate posts you find helpful**

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Most likely you have lost the configuration, if you have backup  compare.

check the configuration, make sure the reserveed IP address are same VLAN configured in the port.

and make sure you have all the VLAN in the configuration.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

That is what it looks like but i am not sure or comfortable on how to reconfigure it i do have a backup of that switch.

Hello @mayrac,

Do you have a backup of that switch?

If so, you could copy that backup by tftp.

Regards

@luis_cordova I did copy my backup to the switch and it read back that it already existed.

Hello @mayrac,

What method did you use to copy the backup?

Where did you copy the backup on the switch?

Regards

@luis_cordova I used tftp and putty

yes you get that message since you have already have config.

copy from tftp to flash:different name, then write to startup config. reload and test it.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello

Just like to add if you saved it to the switch itself then no doubt it will be in the flash: of the switch, so to retrieve it .

Dir flash:
configure replace flash:xxxx

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

If I am understanding the original post correctly we do not know when the config changes were made for DHCP. And we do not know when the backup was made. So it is uncertain whether the backup will have the missing commands. Just because there is a file in flash with a name that matches the backup of the config does not necessarily mean that the file in flash contains config changes made recently. I would suggest that the original poster work through a copy of the backup comparing its content to the content of the files on the switch (perhaps both running config and startup config) and determine if there are config commands in it that are not on the switch and that might resolve the issues.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: