cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

what is more impotant technology or vendor

Mukesh Tiwari
Level 1
Level 1

Genrally interviewers are asking do you have experiance on this vendor so my qution is this what is more impotant technology or vendor?

what should i have to learn, every vendor is using the same technology so why vendor has more importance i am really very confused 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
why vendor has more importance i am really very confused

Nowadays, budget gets tighter and tighter.  Line managers find ways and means to "live" in an ever-smaller budget while the cost of a product goes up yearly.

One of the things line managers like to cut is "training".  If, for example, you have knowledge in Netgear Enterprise gear and you apply at a company that's a "Cisco shop", there is little chance of you getting it because your exposure to enterprise-grade network is small.  No line manager will send a newbie to a training course without seeing you perform first.

To be honest, if you get a question like this then I'd say this was a major oversight by the job interviewer for not picking this up earlier. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
why vendor has more importance i am really very confused

Nowadays, budget gets tighter and tighter.  Line managers find ways and means to "live" in an ever-smaller budget while the cost of a product goes up yearly.

One of the things line managers like to cut is "training".  If, for example, you have knowledge in Netgear Enterprise gear and you apply at a company that's a "Cisco shop", there is little chance of you getting it because your exposure to enterprise-grade network is small.  No line manager will send a newbie to a training course without seeing you perform first.

To be honest, if you get a question like this then I'd say this was a major oversight by the job interviewer for not picking this up earlier. 

but what should we have to do because it is not possible to know about every vendor.

but what should we have to do because it is not possible to know about every vendor.

And no one expects you to be an "expert" with all the vendors.

Before you get to a job interview, the interviewer themselves should take your application and determine if you are suitable or not.  They decide based on the content of your resume.

That they called you in for an interview and ask you, "Do you have knowledge with BLAH vendor?" is a stupid question and , in my opinion, designed to waste your time.

Are you sure an organization asked you this question and NOT a recruitment agency?

This question is not easy to answer. You need to know the Technology, but you normally learn it in the context of a vendor (unless you learn the technology in university). Once you know the technology, it will be easier for you to apply your knowledge to another vendor. But the problems Leo is talking about still apply. A company want's to hire someone who directly can work on the equipment in use.

-- 
Don't stop after you've improved your network! Improve the world by lending money to the working poor:
http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/karsteni

Thanks a lot for ur reply i understood what u said, i think i have to learn about most popular vendors like Cisco and Juniper

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: