cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Which CSU/DSU External or Internal?

enikk
Level 1
Level 1

I am implementing a full T1 and do not want to purchase an external CSU/DSU unit (due to cost).

Are there any benefits to using an external CSU/DSU like an Adtran compared to an internal one?

Would the WIC-1DSU-T1 be the card i would need for a 2611 router?

Thanks

3 Replies 3

dathaide
Level 1
Level 1

yes the wic 1dsu-t1 would be the card to buy. An external csu/dsu add anothe piece of hardware to the equation thus one more point of failure. We tend to use built in csu/dsu and they have worked very well

thanks

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

Note that there is a new version (v2) of the WIC-1DSU-T1. Its advisable to use a built in CSU/DSU. I have seen failure rates on external boxes more than the internal ones. Also configuration can be done through IOS, compared to using custom cables to access the external CSU/DSU and then configuring it.

Lightning causes lot of damages to CSU/DSU equipments. (not direct hit, but heavy currents induced by lightning). External CSU/DSUs seem to protect the router from getting fried. Compared to that, internal CSU/DSUs will get fried and also fry the router along with it, because they all share the same chassis. This is something that I have seen from my personal experience.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Just as a sidenote:

We run external CSUS in our company and they give alot more details than the internals...Additionally when you are dealing with hot-failover between redundant routers, there is no way to use internal CSUS...you have to use something like external Paradyne IMARK 9128 CSUS