Views
Helpful
Replies

Which NPE to support a large routing table size

albert_coll
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a 7206VXR equipped with a NPE-200 processor with 128 Mb of memory.

When this box forms ebgp neighborhood with a bgp router of an ISP, and its routing table gets populated beyond 100.000 entries aprox, it gets blocked and reboots.

I think that the NPE-200 with 128 Mb is not able to hold such routing table size. So I think there are two solutions:

An NPE-225 with 256 Mb or a more expesive solution: NPE-400 with 512MB. I have not found documentation on how many routing table entries is able to support each processor.

4 Replies 4

smif101
Level 4
Level 4

Does this network have only one connection to the ISP or do you have multiple outgoing connections to different ISP's?

Just a single connection to one ISP.

If you have one connection to the ISP then I would just put in a static default route pointing to the ISP and not worry about pulling in BGP routes, it is not necessary. It saves you time, effort and routing resources.

Of course, a default route would suffice for a single connection.

The problem is that this router is going to be connected to more than one ISP in a near future. So this current BGP connection is just the first one to be deployed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: