cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

will this work ? i know it looks crazy but ..

fasi74
Level 1
Level 1

well in my networking envirinment i cover large residential areas & on average dumb hub/switches every now & then i get complains of switches & wire problem which increase my service downtimes ..

now this is my first time with a intelligent cisco switch , my current network diagrams look as shown in the diagram, & as i have ran couple of test on it in my lab i have found a way cisco switch can help reduce my downtime dramatically ..

please see the diagram & tell me will this work ? & what if i have 3 routes to the to a pC..

thank you

3 Replies 3

Hello,

from what I can tell from your picture, you are trying to connect your (interconnected) hubs/switches to the Cisco switch through multiple links. Wether you are having two or three connections on the Cisco does not really matter, because spanning tree will block all but one of those, since otherwise a loop will be created.

I do not know if this is physically possible in your situation, but the best setup would be to connect each hub/switch to a separate port on the Cisco, this would eliminate the spanning tree problem, while at the same provide for better bandwidth utilization, since each hub/switch would have a dedicated link.

Does that make sense ?

Regards,

GP

well yes if you look @ my picture i suppose one will say that , but that 1 hub/switch represents 5-10 siwtches in a row ..

williamwbishop
Level 1
Level 1

It's never a good idea to go that deep with your switch/hubs.

You have 1 point of failure on both segments. I think what the previous poster was trying to relate is that you should try to make it look like a tree. You need to branch each part to a switch port on the cisco switch if possible, keeping the number of switch hops to a minimum.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: