cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Would I be correct in saying...

c.lennox
Level 1
Level 1

So i have just started my journey into doing my CCNA after 20 years of avoiding it. I hate exams, and I know this one is a cow.

That said, on my course we have just coevered Network classes.

Now in my current working environment, the networking guys before me implemented10.10.0.0, 10.11.0.0, 10.12.0.0 networks each with a 255.255.0.0 or /16 mask.

1. Would i be right in saying, this is a Class A address range with a class C subnet mask and should never have been designed this way? Or does it not matter?

Something tells me it shouldnt have been done this way?

2. This is not subnetting is it? Its just 3 seperate networks?

Thanks peeps!!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi

1. Would i be right in saying, this is a Class A address range with a class C subnet mask and should never have been designed this way?

Yes this is a class a address and class c subnet mask and can designed this way jjust fine. It depends how the company started using ip address or want to keeping using it.

Or does it not matter?

Actually not. As this is not a valid Ip addess and is used inside the company, we can use whatever we want.

Nop really.

I call it subnet just fine. But it also three separated networks, why not?

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"This is not subnetting is it? Its just 3 seperate networks?"

Depends if you're going by the (very) old classful rules (then yes, they're subnets) or classless rules (then no, they are independent networks, although often still referred to (informally) as a subnet of any larger network address block that might encompass them, e.g. 10.0.0.0/8, /9, /10, etc.)

"Would i be right in saying, this is a Class A address range with a class C subnet mask and should never have been designed this way? Or does it not matter?"

First, as @Jon Marshall notes in his reply a /16 is not a class C; it should be a /24.

Regarding never designed this way - well as Jon also mentions, generally you don't use a /16 as an actual network, generally /24 or smaller, sometimes a bit larger, up to, say, a /20.

Does it matter?  That's an "it depends" answer.

Maybe the following, about classful vs. classless, will help . . .

Within classful rules, any 10.x.x.x, that's using more than a /8 would be a subnet.

Also BTW, a /16 or /24 of a 10.x.x.x are never class B or class C addresses, although they would use the same mask.

Classful addresses are determined by specific address blocks.  The whole reason for classful addresses, the address, itself, implies the mask to be used.  For example, any 10.x.x.x address would be considered using a /8.  When you don't use the implicit mask, such as subnetting a classful address, other "rules" come into play (often a bit confusing to those working with classful addressing for the first time [fortunately classful is, for the most part, pretty defunct]).

"So if i had been give a netowrk range of 10.0.0.0/8 to play with, i could break it up into subnets, of which 10.128.0.0/9 would be a subnet of 10.0.0.0/8??

Yes, in classful addressing, 10.128.0.0/9 (also, BTW, 10.0.0.0/9) would be a subnet of 10.0.0.0/8.

Also, true, informally, when doing classless addressing, but in classless addressing, 10.128.0.0/9 (also, BTW, 10.0.0.0/9) would be an address block encompassed by address block 10.0.0.0/8.

The big difference between classful addressing and classless addressing, with classful non-native classful addresses (i.e. subnets [or supernets]) have "rules" pertaining to how you route with them vs. native classful addresses.  With classless addressing, a network, is a network, is a network.  For example, with classless, 10.0.0.0/24 (classful subnet) and 192.168.0.0/22 (classful supernet) are treated alike.

5 Replies 5

Hi

1. Would i be right in saying, this is a Class A address range with a class C subnet mask and should never have been designed this way?

Yes this is a class a address and class c subnet mask and can designed this way jjust fine. It depends how the company started using ip address or want to keeping using it.

Or does it not matter?

Actually not. As this is not a valid Ip addess and is used inside the company, we can use whatever we want.

Nop really.

I call it subnet just fine. But it also three separated networks, why not?

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It is a class A address but it is not a class C subnet mask which would be 255.255.255.0. 

It is a class B subnet mask. 

Yes this is subnetting, and there is nothing really wrong with it although /16s are large subnets and the usual recommendation for subnet size is somewhere around a /24. 

Jon

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

"This is not subnetting is it? Its just 3 seperate networks?"

Depends if you're going by the (very) old classful rules (then yes, they're subnets) or classless rules (then no, they are independent networks, although often still referred to (informally) as a subnet of any larger network address block that might encompass them, e.g. 10.0.0.0/8, /9, /10, etc.)

"Would i be right in saying, this is a Class A address range with a class C subnet mask and should never have been designed this way? Or does it not matter?"

First, as @Jon Marshall notes in his reply a /16 is not a class C; it should be a /24.

Regarding never designed this way - well as Jon also mentions, generally you don't use a /16 as an actual network, generally /24 or smaller, sometimes a bit larger, up to, say, a /20.

Does it matter?  That's an "it depends" answer.

Maybe the following, about classful vs. classless, will help . . .

Within classful rules, any 10.x.x.x, that's using more than a /8 would be a subnet.

Also BTW, a /16 or /24 of a 10.x.x.x are never class B or class C addresses, although they would use the same mask.

Classful addresses are determined by specific address blocks.  The whole reason for classful addresses, the address, itself, implies the mask to be used.  For example, any 10.x.x.x address would be considered using a /8.  When you don't use the implicit mask, such as subnetting a classful address, other "rules" come into play (often a bit confusing to those working with classful addressing for the first time [fortunately classful is, for the most part, pretty defunct]).

Ah yes that makes more sense and in line with what I was theorising.

So if i had been give a netowrk range of 10.0.0.0/8 to play with, i could break it up into subnets, of which 10.128.0.0/9 would be a subnet of 10.0.0.0/8?? Or have I just gone totally off the track?

With regards to the class a and class c thing, I got a bit mixed up there. Essentially my point was that the IP and subnet mask, belonged to different classes. Bit I get the gist.

Thanks for the input.

"So if i had been give a netowrk range of 10.0.0.0/8 to play with, i could break it up into subnets, of which 10.128.0.0/9 would be a subnet of 10.0.0.0/8??

Yes, in classful addressing, 10.128.0.0/9 (also, BTW, 10.0.0.0/9) would be a subnet of 10.0.0.0/8.

Also, true, informally, when doing classless addressing, but in classless addressing, 10.128.0.0/9 (also, BTW, 10.0.0.0/9) would be an address block encompassed by address block 10.0.0.0/8.

The big difference between classful addressing and classless addressing, with classful non-native classful addresses (i.e. subnets [or supernets]) have "rules" pertaining to how you route with them vs. native classful addresses.  With classless addressing, a network, is a network, is a network.  For example, with classless, 10.0.0.0/24 (classful subnet) and 192.168.0.0/22 (classful supernet) are treated alike.