cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRED

per.nielsen
Level 1
Level 1

When enabling WRED you can avoid dropping packets and instead mark them with the ECN bits

The idea is that the end hosts and routers can lower down the throughput

How do you enable a host or router to lower the rate when receiving an ECN

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

The end hosts also need to be ECN-aware to make use of this (RFC3168 support?). If the end-host's TCP/IP implementation supports it I'm guessing it might be enabled automatically; would depend on the OS/vendor.

Quick lookup in Solaris 10 shows that ECN is enabled passively by default i.e. it will only negotiate it if the other end-host requests it otherwise not. The setting can also be changed to actively negotiate it or turn it off completely

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Fernando_Meza
Level 7
Level 7

Please check the below document .. I hope it helps ...Please rate it if it does !!!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6350/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a0080443160.html#wp1028640

On your routers you need something similar to the below config :

Router(config)# policy-map pol1

Router(config-pmap)# class class-default

Router(config-pmap)# bandwidth per 70

Router(config-pmap-c)# random-detect

Router(config-pmap-c)# random-detect ecn

The end hosts also need to be ECN-aware to make use of this (RFC3168 support?). If the end-host's TCP/IP implementation supports it I'm guessing it might be enabled automatically; would depend on the OS/vendor.

Quick lookup in Solaris 10 shows that ECN is enabled passively by default i.e. it will only negotiate it if the other end-host requests it otherwise not. The setting can also be changed to actively negotiate it or turn it off completely