cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRT54G on 2900 switch, seperate VLAN, out same firewall

mattpociask
Level 1
Level 1

Our current network (subnet 10.24.167.0) uses a Sonic Wall firewall (10.24.167.254) as the gateway and PAT device to our router.

The owner wants guests to be able to use our internet wirelessly but have no chance of getting on our network.

I want to put the wireless Linksys router (WRT54G) on a seperate VLAN and give it (and the DHCP pool) a different subnet (192.168.1.0). Is that wireless "router" going to be good enough to get the data from the guest subnet out our firewall (which is on the company subnet) and out the router?

Can you please explain the best way to get this to work?

I was also considering a bridge off the router with 1 port going to the firewall and our company subnet, and another port going to the WRT54G, but I think there is a better way.

3 Replies 3

Darthkim_2
Level 1
Level 1

I would create another VLAN, connect a seperate interface from the Sonicwall to that guest vlan and either use the sonicwall or the linksys as the DHCP server.

THis way, you can offer a guest vlan for people with wired connections.

Hi,

Just addition to the earlier post, see if your firewaal supports trunking and use the trunking feature instead of a separate interface, whihc can be used later for some more specific purpose.

Rest is the same as above.

regards,

-amit singh

Thanks guys. I'll poke around my firewall and see what I can come up with.