cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't start guestshell on Cisco 4331 on 16.9.6

Difan Zhao
Level 5
Level 5

I am new to the development and coding in Cisco. I am studying guestshell. I am following this post for instructions. 

https://community.cisco.com/t5/developer-general-blogs/introducing-python-and-guest-shell-on-ios-xe-16-5/ba-p/3661394

When I do "guestshell enable", I got this error: % Error: No interface configuration for guestshell

Then I found a solution on google to specify the management interface for the guestshell. 

app-hosting appid guestshell
 vnic management guest-interface 0
end

First of all, when I specify the interface, I got this error. What does it mean, and is there now a replacement command for this?

Dec 18 15:52:56.159 CST: %PARSER-5-HIDDEN: Warning!!! ' vnic management guest-interface 0' is a hidden command. Use of this command is not recommended/supported and will be removed in future.

Now I am able to start the powershell and I can get in the Bash. However, in the base, I don't have any internet connectivity.

#guestshell run bash
$ ping 4.2.2.1
PING 4.2.2.1 (4.2.2.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 192.168.30.1 icmp_seq=1 Destination Net Unreachable

My router has three interfaces Gi0/0/0-2. Only traffic sourced from G0/0/1 can reach the Internet. The Mgmt G0 interface is not connected. When I tried to specify other numbers for the interface, I got this error when I enable guestshell

% Error: The guest-interface number [eth(1)] is higher than the expected number of [eth(0)]

Please let me know how to get the powershell running properly in this setup. Thanks!

3 Replies 3

omz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

They are indeed very helpful! Thanks omz. I am able follow through the steps but I see a small difference in the running-config. The config I put in was "vnic gateway1 ..." but in the running config, it becomes gateway0. In the config, gateway1 is the lowest I can choose. I would assume that vnic gateway1 is app-vnic gateway0, correct?

app-hosting appid guestshell
app-vnic gateway0 virtualportgroup 0 guest-interface 0
guest-ipaddress 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
name-server0 8.8.8.8

I would assume the same ...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: