cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881 series router - How do I disable the USB port?

commengineer
Level 1
Level 1

How do I disable the USB port in the 881 router?

881router#show usb port

Port Number: 0

Connection State: Disconnected

Speed: Full

Power State: ON

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why would you want to disable the USB port for?

It is not needed, and is an active interface to the router. Need it disabled.

It is not needed, and is an active interface to the router. Need it disabled.

I don't think you can disable this.

Just want to let you know that there is a need of the USB port.  Particularly when you loose the IOS. 

Due to an internal security policy a company I do work for is mandated to disable USB ports in places were physical security cannot be guaranteed to prevent the router from being compromised. This is especially true of 800 series routers as they are typically installed in less secure environments. It is preferred to have the router harder to recover than leaving the USB port enabled.

I appreciate I am being a bit of a necromancer resurrecting this thread after 6 years, but if anyone has found a way to do this a reply would be appreciated.

Contact your Cisco AM/SE.  They might be able to ask the developers to knock up a special code for this purpose.

When I used to work in a high security environment, the method we used was to fill the port to be disabled with epoxy. (honestly!)

Also, +5 for first use of the term "necromancer" on CSC. Kudos! 

If you mean the USB port you can mount media to I would suggest a Padjack or Lindy port locker.

If you mean the mini usb console port on some devices then try this to disable the mini USB port. Might not work on 800 series devices.

Switch# configure terminal

Switch(config)# line console 0

Switch(config-line)# media-type rj45

Excellent products, thank you! :-)

I don't think I should need to ask Cisco for special code, or physically visit routers situated all over the world. I think Cisco should get their finger out and implement features like disabling the ports consistently across all their platforms, rather than leaving it up to individual product lines. The product managers need to align themselves internally, but this has to come from the top down to make it work.