cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access List Questions

joneschw1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all, I have a PIX 501 and some access lists. Basically I found an incorrect line. I have 8 or 9 various access-lists.

I tried to remove the incorrect line, and the only way that I could do it was to remove the access-group from the interface and then remove the incorrect line. It seems that you can add to an access group pretty easily, but removing a line is difficult. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, what is the proper syntax to only allow smtp traffic from ip address 77.94.101.4 to my internal IP? Thanks for the help.

7 Replies 7

mpalardy
Level 3
Level 3

First you have to use the configuration mode of your pix, w/ "conf t" command. Then use the "no" keyword to remove an access-list and it must be typed entirelly. eg.:

PIX(config)# no access-list outside_intf permit tcp host 10.1.1.1 host 10.2.2.2 eq 25

To permit access from outside to your internal mail-server you must first publish your mail server on a internet routable ip:

static (inside, outside) IP-out IP-server netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

Grant access for 77.xx.xxx.x to your mail server:

access-list outside_intf permit tcp host 77.xx.xxx.x host IP-out eq smtp

Bind the ACL to the outside intf:

access-group outside_intf in interface outside

Note that only one set of access-list can be bind for each interface.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_63/cmdref/ab.htm#wp1025611

HTH

Mike

Mike,

I tried the no -- entire access list line--- and it did not work. The only way I could get it to work was to remove the access group and then remove the individual line (listing the line number).

Does the pix gives an error when you attempt to remove the ACL ? What's the version of the soft you have on this pix ? (please post the output from the "show version" command)

jogillis
Level 1
Level 1

You should not have to remove the access-group to delete a line from the access-list. From configuration mode (config t), you should be able to type "no" then the access-list line, with no line number necessary. This should remove that line.

I have exactly the same problem on our 1760 router (v 12.3(2)XE).

I enter configuration mode with conf t, then select the access list I want to modify:

ip access-list extended

Here I type in the command to delete an existing permission:

no permit .... etc

where the permit line is repeated exactly as shown by the show running command. The router accepts the deletion without comment. I type exit, then Ctrl-Z to leave configuration mode. In essence I've just repeated exactly the same procdure as used to create the permit line, but this time put a 'no' at the beginning.

Show running reveals that nothing has changed, the permission line is still present. No errors are displayed at any time. I just don't work!

Since we have a large number of lines within this access-list, deleting it completely isn't a realistic option.

CG

You should be able to remove a single line from your access-list with the no command. For example if your access-list command is:

access-list 101 permit tcp any host 10.10.10.10 eq smpt

To remove it, enter configuration mode with the configure terminal command, then use:

no access-list 101 permit tcp any host 10.10.10.10 eq smtp

The commands should be identical except for the no.

Perhaps I didnt' state my problem clearly enough. I'm not referring to a numbered access list (which for all I know suffers from the same problem), but to the access-list for a firewall rule. I thought the original post on this thread meant the same, perhaps I'm wrong.

The rule I'm referring to is created as follows:

router# conf t

router(config)# ip access-list extended Internet_LAN_IN

router(config-ext-nacl)# permit tcp host 135.100.44.6 host 196.140.232.12 eq ftp

router(config-ext-nacl)# exit

router(config)#

router#

Trying to delete the line by recapitulating the above, but putting a 'no' at the beginning of the line which starts 'permit...' is accepted without any error message, but silently ignored.

I know that typing 'no' at the beginning is supposed to delete the line, but it doesn't. The show running command still shows the line is present. Do I have to reboot the router? or is there some other critical step I should take?

CG