ulyssystems
Level 1
Level 1

There is ASA 5505:

- 8.4(2) IOS

- FLASH: 128 Mb

- DRAM: 256 Mb

Requirements for 8.4(2) are acomplished:

For the ASA 5505, only the Unlimited Hosts license and the Security Plus license with failover enabled require 512 MB; other licenses can use 256 MB.

Are installed latest AnyConnect packeges for linux, some smatphones (each 4-5 MB). But for Windoes it's 21 MB and we got error "Failed to unzip the Anyconenct Package". In prior IOS version there was command cache-fs limit, by default it was 20 Mb. As i understand ASA now dinamically determines amount of cache memory and it's not enough.

Because of the increased size of the AnyConnect package from 4MB in AnyConnect 2.5 to 21 MB in AnyConnect 3.0, you may need to upgrade the ASA flash and memory card first.
If your ASA has only the default internal flash memory size or the default DRAM size (for cache memory) you could have problems storing and loading multiple AnyConnect client packages on the ASA. Even if you have enough space on the flash to hold the package files, the ASA could run out of cache memory when it unzips and loads the client images.

So there is a question, after DRAM upgrade to 512 MB will be there enough cache memory for Anyconnect packeges with total size 35-40 Mb?

3 Replies 3

Tony Mattke
Level 4
Level 4

You ever find a solution to this? I'm having the same problem...

roto(config-webvpn)# anyconnect image disk0:/anyconnect-win-3.0.4235-k9.pkg 2

Failed to unzip the Anyconenct Package

--- I also find the typo in the output amusing..

Atri Basu
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Ideally yes, if your DRAM is at least 512MB you shouldn't see that error message, If you do though, then you need to upgrade your flash:

Hardware:   ASA5505, 512 MB RAM, CPU Geode 500 MHz

Internal ATA Compact Flash, 128MB

BIOS Flash M50FW016 @ 0xfff00000, 2048KB

Increase the flash is at least 256MB or above.

Mark Lancaster
Level 1
Level 1

I have having the same issue on an ASA-5510 with 256MB DRAM 256MB Flash.  I do not have this issue on an ASA-5550 with 4GB DRAM 256MB Flash, so I'm guessing the issue is with the memory size.

Also, from:  http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/vpn_client/anyconnect/anyconnect30/release/notes/anyconnect30rn.html

Flash and DRAM Requirements for Upgrade

Check for the space available before proceeding with the AnyConnect 3.0 upgrade. You can use one of the following methods to do so:

CLI—Enter the show memory command.

asa3# show memory     

Free memory:       304701712 bytes (57%)

Used memory:       232169200 bytes (43%)

-------------     ----------------

Total memory:      536870912 bytes (100%)

ASDM—Choose Tools > File Management. The File Management window displays flash space.

Because of the increased size of the AnyConnect package from 4MB in AnyConnect 2.5 to 21 MB in AnyConnect 3.0, you may need to upgrade the ASA flash and memory card first.

Caution The minimum flash memory required is 128MB for an ASA 5505; however, we strongly recommend 256 or preferably 512 MB. To support multiple endpoint operating systems and enable logging and debugging on the ASA, you will most likely need 512 MB of flash memory.

If your ASA has only the default internal flash memory size or the default DRAM size (for cache memory) you could have problems storing and loading multiple AnyConnect client packages on the ASA. Even if you have enough space on the flash to hold the package files, the ASA could run out of cache memory when it unzips and loads the client images. For internal memory requirements for each ASA model, see Memory Requirements for the Cisco ASA Adaptive Security Appliances Software Version 8.3 and Later. For additional information about the ASA memory requirements and upgrading ASA memory, see the latest release notes for the Cisco ASA 5500 series.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card