cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA-5520 configuration

battanc
Level 1
Level 1

Examining the configuration via CLI, I noticed that there are several "object", which in the "graphics" configuration via ASDM do not appear.

I don't like this misalignment, because in this way the configuration is larger than it should be.

Anyone knows a way to fix this problem?

Regards

Claudio

2 Replies 2

Jitendra Siyag
Level 1
Level 1

you can see it here. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa80/asdm60/user/guide/objects.html#wp1249724

it shows in Addresses side pane in a rules window

AdamBlackNNT
Level 1
Level 1

There are many differences in appearance between the CLI and GUI, such as when you create some objects or access-lists with the GUI and give them names which do not appear in the CLI - instead replacing them with horrible names such as "DM_INLINE_####".  Ultimately I do blame lazy programming for that, however it is important to know that the functionality is still fully there even if it is a bit... inelegant.

If you want a clean command-line view the best thing you can do is to work from the command-line only as much as possible.  If you are configuring via ASDM anyway, what does it really matter what the command-line looks like if you're not using it?*

*Well there is actually a consequence.  Anyone you bring in to examine your configurations (eg. an outside consultant, new hire, Cisco TAC...) is going to look at your CLI configuration rather than ASDM, and having a command line structure that is hard to read is going to slow them down.  That is why it is a best practice to configure with the CLI only if at all possible (this is not possible for all configuration items), but based on available talent that may not be an option and the downside in such cases typically isn't bad enough for the use of the GUI only to be a problem.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: